I Forge Iron

Is this a decent anvil?

Mr. Sergeant,

Where are you, are you located?

We have members in 150 countries.

For example,  in Australia that might be a good price.

In the contiguous United States,  you can buy a very good, similar, new anvil for less.

Watch this thread. The anvil mavens should appear shortly.  

Some are returning from Quad state now.

Also, doing a little research could save you some cash.

Welcome to the site.

SLAG.

It looks like a good anvil, but don't take the person's word on the rebound.  Take a steel ball bearing and test it yourself before shelling out that much money.  Drop it from 10 inches and see if it gets 9 inch returns around different spots on the face.  At almost $7 per pound it should be dang near perfect as you can buy brand new anvils - really nice ones - for that kind of cash. Normally $3-$4 per pound is a good price for a great anvil.  If it were me, I'd try to get him or her to come down on the price.  The stand is a huge plus and it looks like a nicely made one.  111 lbs is a little on the light side, but you are new so it should serve you for many years if you decide to buy it.  A good shop size starts at about 150 lbs.  What is meant by that is that you can do small work on a heavy anvil but it's not always possible to do heavy work on a light anvil.  All depends on what you plan to forge.

For 111 lb and $700 I would keep looking, but I am not your :)

it's a small anvil, that size anvil can be had cheaper new, at a farriers supply. 

Search for Cliff Carroll 125lbs Anvil selling for $565. They are in Amarillo Texas

Many other suppliers with similar prices. 

Never mind the base. You can do better and it will be your first project :)

And yes, the guys are correct, BIGGA IS BETTA :P

If by chance you found the seller via "crapslist " website, 99.9 % of the  anvils and related items are way over priced.  They usally buy at auctions at 1/3 of what they are selling at.  Even still @ 7.00 a pound,,buy new, find a chunk of wood to sit it on.  That anvil is 3 dollars to 4 dollars tops per pound as MC stated, so is that stand worth 3 to 4 hundred dollars to you,  apposed to building your own  or a tree stump ?

3 hours ago, sgt_gatr said:

I am from the USA

We won't remember that after leaving this thread and the U.S.A. is a big place. Anvil prices vary from different areas of the country and even the states. I always suggest reading this thread.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/53873-read-this-first/

4 hours ago, sgt_gatr said:

The owner said he made the stand and it cost him about $200 in materials. 

The stand, no matter how nice, may not be at he correct height for you and the way you work. If that is the case it will have to be modified. Ask the owner is he will reduce the price by $200 if you only take the anvil and not the stand. That will reduce the cost of the anvil to $4.50 per pound.

Jymm Hoffman sells a 110 pound double horn anvil made in the U.S.A., Cast entirely of H-13 tool steel (hot working impact steel) Heat treated to Rockwell C 50 – 55 for $845 NEW.

That is only $145 between the anvil offered and a NEW anvil from Jymm. The difference in price over the lifetime of the anvil is worth considering. 

What Glen and others said.

Maybe $400 without the base, as nice as it is.

If your willing to spend that much toss a bit more in.

The Hoffman 110lb double horn anvil with side shelf is a beauty, and very versatile shape.

The Hoffman Colonial 110lb has a big sweet spot with a lot of mass under it, nice for knife making.

$660 will get you a Kanca forged 110lb anvil, $25 shipping.

100-110lb is fine for knives and other light work.

On sale if you search about $1000 will get you a Kanca or Ridgid Peddinghaus 165lb anvil SHIPPED.

These two will grow with you and are big enough for most shop work too, and a 6-8lb sledge (used properly) isn’t going to beat the snot out of them. This would be nice if you start doing more pattern welding and you have a helper striking for you when working larger billets.

But that’s just me and how I’d approach it.

I have to agree with everyone after my post.  Try to talk the seller down.  Glen brings up an important point too.....that stand might not be the right height for you so it could be useless at worst or you'd have to cut some off if it's too high, but if it's too low that's worse because now you have to build it up.  It's kinda like looking at a car for sale.  The seller can go on an on about the $600 high performance white letter tires on it, but in essence you really only car about the car and how it runs because the tires won't be much use if the car has engine problems.  Same with the anvil stand.  Plus they are easy to make.  Approach some tree cutting services and I bet they'd be happy to get you a stump, just try not to get pine.  Elm is the best, but both of mine are ash and work fine if I band them up to prevent severe splitting.