I Forge Iron

shady shade

I have been forging a little over a year under a couple small trees in the hot Arizoma desert. A couple months ago I decieded to get some shade 20180528_183838.thumb.jpg.2a221d90d93b3613ffb18d71ae8fc6cf.jpg

this is during construction but you can see there is not much shade but it worked well over the winter and spring....

20180915_133223.thumb.jpg.57f882b0286549d40df6c319915b3e2d.jpg

fast forfard a couple weekends and , Viola! Shady shade. I tried to keep as much of the trees as I could in the hopes that one day the entire structure will be under the trees.

20180915_133312.thumb.jpg.ff0be60a32da15831f3ceb49c7bfaaae.jpg

Backside  which is really the street side but you can barely see it from the street

20180915_133411.thumb.jpg.5d3e8962de7cd99e7f133335eddfec87.jpg

needless to say I love it    Thanks for looking

Pretty  nice. How invisible is it from the street, do people walk past? You have valuable tools and equipment basically in the open for thieves to take. I'd be tempted to maybe put up some  unattractive camouflage. Of course a fenced yard and couple dogs will do the trick, they don't need to be big or heavens NO vicious, just loud works. Wake you up and get your gun loud is perfect.

You might want to keep your eyes open for folding screens like you see in welding shops, at yard garage, etc. sales. Something you could fold up lay down and set something heavy at night or on for windy days would provide a sun screen where you need it and enlarge your work space. Hmmm?

Looking good, enjoy Brother.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks fellas, 

Its about 100 feet off the street with some desert in between, only a small window and you would have to be looking for it, blends in real nice. Only people walking are neighbors. We live  jn a tight community on the edge of open desert and we look out for each other

Added bonus - cool place to hang and drink beer when not forging !

Thanks Aus, 

Yes they are the native Velvet mesquite with an old, sad palo verde in between that I hope to rejuvenate with the roof run off and a tree well.

I took a long while to plan the maximun shade with minimum tree trimming and only took off two major branches

It is 12 feet under cover and 9ish feet betweet posts.

Still plenty hot in the afternoon but it is shady and I stay hydrated :-)

PS ...already wish it were bigger :-(

I have a mesquite on the west side of my shop and have been encouraging it to grow and shade---it likes the run off from the roof and I'm trimming it to grow up and to the sides and not brush the metal shop wall/roof. To the east my neighbor planted cotton woods along the property line and they all took except the ones next to the shop. His laser leveling  exposed a plain gravel bed there; sigh.  At least it's an alfalfa field and so makes for a cooler for breezes coming from that way.