I Forge Iron

Power hammer test

• 11 months later...

ok, i threw a yellow hot piece of 8 inch by one inch square under the anyang 88 today and the numbers came out as .651 for five blows, and .405 for ten blows, this was two inch section (accross the die). Keep in mind that this machine is only two weeks old, and i just have it bolted to the 4 inch slab with a piece of 3/4 plywood underneath. This machine hits hard, scale bounces up from the floor at every blow. I need to pour a foundation because i can feel the powerloss with the 4 inch slab. James Johnson was great to deal with, and he was the deciding factor for me to buy this machine, he stands by his equipment.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

You still have it John :(

700 Niles Bement Pond, 100psi.

2" of 1" square
5 blows 140
3 blows 152
1 blow 352

I now know a 3-1/2" circle of 10 gauge material equals 2" of 1" square

2" of 2" square

5 blows 650
10 blow 372

200 Chambersburg 100psi

2" of 1" square
5 blows 523
10 blows 234

would be a lot more if run on steam i believe.

Good to hear you have the hammer up and running. Once you get used to the hammer it may beat the Massey yet, I get maximum blows with a more gradual application of the treadle and probably would not have gotten as good a result when I first got the hammer. The 2" is probably a better test for the bigger hammers anyways although my current dies are probably not big enough to try that. They are only 3.5" wide and I am a flattened 2" piece will end up wider and longer than that.

I don't know John I really didn't hold back, in fact most of the work was done in the first two blows. The thinner the material gets that ramp of movement really starts to climb. I also did one at 7 blows and it only moved a couple thousand. I think when you get into the bigger hammers 1" is kind of ridiculous, a better test would be like you say 2" or even 4"? I would like to see some of these smaller hammers that have great numbers posted smack on some 4" for sure!

post-2769-0-09688400-1345565229_thumb.jp

post-2769-0-16856900-1345565252_thumb.jp

• 1 year later...

I finaly got round to doing this, gas forge and different distances between hammers (the goliath is 20 meters away.......

sahinla 50kg (112lb) air 0.720 and 0.499

goliath 60lb mechanical 0.739 and 0.500

so I guess my sahinla is under performing and the little Goliath is doing fine. 

I'll add that although It would seem that I am getting about the same power from both of these hammers the versitility of the sahinla means that I seem to use it all the time.

I'll have a go on the alldays when I have the switch fixed.

i had a samuel platt galith it hit like all dickens  ,  only 56 lbs but it could forge  no trouble  3'' bar mild steel harder steel it was a bit slower on but, i sold it  and installed  a 55K G anyang its a ok hammer  you  just have to not let them get real hot or the oil will glaze up the control valves  ,   i flush mine with a bit of diesel    after a few full oil cans go through  

massey half hundredweight . running 4hp motor.

5 blows 0.745

10 blows..558 so about what i would expect.

looking at the hammers I have and their BPM I think the goliath at 240 bpm would get more work done than the sahinla at 220.

I would love to see a chart that contained HP and bpm.

I used to run a Goliath on 1hp , the one I have now is 5hp and  runs rings around the one horse machine .

anyhow .....