I Forge Iron

Power hammer test

Still fun though.
Rob

Fun, I'll tell you fun, I'm friends with a smith nearby who has a 700 nazel. If he'll let me I'll post the results, probly wont have to heat it.....
Also, This test is likely thought of by some to be a total wast of time, absurd,etc,etc. But It sure as hell beats watching the news!

Fun, I'll tell you fun, I'm friends with a smith nearby who has a 700 nazel. If he'll let me I'll post the results, probly wont have to heat it.....
Also, This test is likely thought of by some to be a total wast of time, absurd,etc,etc. But It sure as hell beats watching the news!

Bingo.... I am headed down to Bob Kramers today, Maybe I can get him to let me do the test on his 500lb Little Giant...

Here it is on David Norrie's 700 nazel 5 bl: .20, 10 bl .135. The only forge available was a wide open propane, 1800,1900 deg. I think it shows how tough the matieral becomes when it goes below .15 or so. It's the biggest sport hammer I've ever operated..................mb

Here it is on David Norrie's 700 nazel 5 bl: .20, 10 bl .135. The only forge available was a wide open propane, 1800,1900 deg. I think it shows how tough the matieral becomes when it goes below .15 or so. It's the biggest sport I've ever operated..................mb

Good point! Always had a problem with rating hammers by how thick they could work. In some respects it's how thin they can work effectively.

Good point! Always had a problem with rating hammers by how thick they could work. In some respects it's how thin they can work effectively.

Yeah, It was like the thing hit a wall.... I heard a formula once re power boats: If you want to go 100mph you need a 1000hp mill.For every mph higher you need another 100hp........a bit of a stretch, but in the same ballpark.....mb

I've worked 4" round in the larger model say mak, albeit the specific hammer is a little beat and worn, it did not handle it very well. it did not "forge through" the stock, but fishlipped it slightly. I would not recommend it!

Even when it was new it really didn't do a good job on 4" round BTW that was a hunk of 4140 round it might have even been 4 1/2 If I remember. If someone could sell me some parts it wouldn't be so beat or if I had gotten a manual when I bought it I would have known better how to maintain the hammer.

Not sure what this means...

250 Murray mech. .583 and .383

500 Bradley mech. .610 and .489

I heated the material when I was waiting for some 3" round to come up to temp. so probably not real hot on the test. If there is any consolation I drew the 3" out on the 500, it took two heats, drew 15" out to 34", 2-1/4" on the flats to 1", hex shape all the way down. :P

Sorry Sam, I really didn't like my standings (competitive nature) so I had a coal fire going this afternoon... second try was a little different 250-429 and 306, made a couple of mechanical adjustments to the 500-434 and 297 flat dies on both. Still use the 500 lb. hammer for anything over 3".

My scanner is busted, I thought I posted this before.

Capacity of Chambersburg pneumatic motor driven

100- 721 Ft. lbs. 532 Joules 2" stock (production)
200-1600 Ft. lbs. 1180 Joules 2.75" stock (production)
400-4000 Ft. lbs. 4086 Joules 3.875" stock (production)
750-8516 Ft. lbs. 8516 Joules 5" stock (production)

Looks like air hammers have more output force , but considering my 250 needs 15hp and my friends 250 lg needs half that. It would seem the extra output comes at a considerable cost. But, juice still ain't as bad as gas......................yet..............mb

Looks like air hammers have more output force , but considering my 250 needs 15hp and my friends 250 lg needs half that. It would seem the extra output comes at a considerable cost. But, juice still ain't as bad as gas......................yet..............mb

My 500 pound Nazel was also 15 hp.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Maybe that 500 ain't squeakin' or knockin' but it needs a tune up, .297 ain't too shabby.........Good use for the test......mb

Maybe 3rd times a charm! I don't think I have released the full potential of the hammer yet but how flawed is this test? What does it show? It is still a matter of sizing the hammer to the stock.

My 500 pound Nazel was also 15 hp.

I was speaking in more general, and my hammer probably ain't the best example. Had a friend once who ran a 500lb Beaudry with a 5hp! The 500 was more of an ego trip than a working rig and I'm sure It would have gone nuclear If ever really put to the task. I was amazed the poor thing would even turn it ! I'd say he needed a minimum of 10 and 10 is a pretty good hp/wt ratio. Any how there's allot more hammers out there to test. We'll see about my opinion...........listing hp might help clarify some questions...... Oh please Sam please !.........mb

There are some confusing results in the data so far and I think head acceleration may be the explanation.

If all test power hammers were drop hammers then the comparisons would be consistent because they would all be operating at the same head acceleration of 32.2 ft/sec/sec(gravity). Force = Mass x acceleration. In the case of mechanical hammers tuning by adjusting the spring or linkages can greatly alter the Force or impact of the head because it changes the acceleration some call it "slap".
In the case of air hammers air pressure and air flow rates will control greatly affect the acceleration. A lighter head at a higher acceleration could possibly deliver more force than a heaver head with lower acceleration.

Ted