I Forge Iron

Multi bar seax

jlblohm

Starting with the edge. 1060, then a wrought iron with some carbon, 10 layer twist of 2 kinds of wrought iron, and for the spine is a really low carbon wrought. So it has progressively less carbon as it meets the spine.

0_20180816_162757.thumb.jpg.6d299bdd87d83b6aaff6336d1edf12a0.jpg.17b7677fff1a49e75c1f353ea5c73370.jpgResized_20180821_144329.thumb.jpg.5b88b73481717bfd78ab206e1caf0afc.jpg.fc7f553fdac7089ef13ccfe6c727732a.jpgResized_20180821_144323.thumb.jpg.01f81b69f6375e6d309550b63effe503.jpg.49c6ec043515c6a482e7b9f74f26d73a.jpgResized_20180821_144314.thumb.jpg.1afebd0ee11d5dc65653facb75af66a7.jpg.afe45c7fb01bbeeabe8f0dd20508e97b.jpg

This is where I left off today. I will finish it up and post final pictures.

Please elaborate why this is not a seax. The word seax is the Anglo saxon word for knife so in theory all knives are seaxes. And if carbon migration is that much of an issue why do they use wrought in kitchen knives where there is more surface area contact for carbon migration to occur? And again please tell me why this is not considered a seax?

Tanto also means knife  so by that logic call it a tanto ? If you wish to communicate then an intelligent person would use commonly accepted terms for items,  if not why bother posting to a world wide forum where translators will play havoc with misused terms, and in period the wrought was carbonized

That doesn't answer my question. Please tell me why it's not a seax?!?!?!?

If you want to get technical. This looks absolutely nothing like what an original Bowie would look like.

Come on Steve...break it down for me. What's not seaxy about this knife? 

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 8:19 AM, Steve Sells said:

thats not a seax

???

17 hours ago, Steve Sells said:

and in period the wrought was carbonized

Wrought iron CAN'T  be carbonized...it can be carburized but not carbonized!!! I just wanted to point that out sense we ARE on a world wide forum where translators will play havoc with misused terms.

I can understand why some feel it is not a seax I love making em myself and I think there is a fine line when making one how much curvature you can get away with to call it a seax but there are so many designs that have been found, there are a lot of historical seaxes that has been found that had almost this shape, yours may be a bit more to the bowie shaped at the tip but I would still call it a seax, or seax styled bowie knife.

Either way I think you did a good job going to be fun to see you finish it, as for personal preference i would bring the tip down a bit more If I was to make it and make the belly of the edge a bit straighter, but it looks good man, hope all the welds are tight :)

And you make what ever you want man, make what you feel looks good.

Thank you Zrognak it is based off of a type III/II SEAX. and I still have to do the finish profile grind. I just feel frustrated with the way some people are treated here and some comments that are made by some people in particular. Then you ask for there reasoning and.......... 

Oh i see, and im sorry man im sure they don't mean any harm it just comes off a bit hostile at times, im sure they will respond when they see your question, we are all human here and we do make mistakes from time to time. Personally i do feel that if one gives critique or makes as statement in one post they should point out their reasoning for why they said it, and im sure you will know eventually, I haven't seen any bad people here, maybe a bit stubborn like myself but that is all.

but as for the knife good luck with it, it looks good right now probably will be even better finished, keep up the good work :D

The discussion should be about the project, how it was made, details, etc   For the purposes of the discussion, call it your knife project, or give it a personal name,  Zrognak said it best so far with seax styled bowie knife. 

As the creator, you may call it anything you like.  To communicate with others you should use established and common terminology so others understand. It may be necessary to upgrade the common terminology, but in a in a gentle way that can be accepted. References are always a good way to do that. 

Reference Wiki:

Seax (Old English pronunciation: [sæɑks]; also sax, sæx, sex; invariant in plural, latinizedsachsum) is an Old English word for "knife". In modern archaeology, the term seax is used specifically for a type of sword or dagger typical of the Germanic peoples of the Migration period and the Early Middle Ages, especially the Saxons, whose name derives from the weapon.

In heraldry, the seax is a charge consisting of a curved sword with a notched blade, appearing, for example, in the coats of arms of Essex and the former Middlesex, although a depiction of a straight bladed seax is also possible as in the coat of arms of Eschringen.

Old English seax, sax and Old Frisian sax are identical with Old Saxon and Old High German saks, all from a Common Germanic *sahsą from a root *sah, *sag- "to cut" (also in saw, from a PIE root *sek-). In Scandinavia, the words sax, saks or sakset all refer to scissors, which are used for cutting various materials. The term scramaseax or scramsax (lit. "wounding-knife") is sometimes used for disambiguation, even though it is not attested in Old English, but taken from an occurrence of scramasaxi in Gregory of Tours' History of the Franks.

Spell checkers are wonderful, they automatically make changes.

Carbonize is to convert into carbon, typically by heating or burning, or during fossilization.

Carburize is to add carbon to (iron or steel), in particular by heating in the presence of carbon to harden the surface.

Maybe this helps a bit, I cropped your seax out into a silhouette as well as a historical seax that you where talking about for a comparison for you good sir.

Note: size is not accounted for.

Edit: also note im not asking you to change your design, you are the artist and you should make the knives you want to do, just posting this for a reference to compare and stuff.

Seax.jpg.12e4e6d093990f350f46172444c566e3.jpg

Tons of seax variations out there in the *historical* context; almost like they were made over a wide chunk of Europe over several hundred years by a large number of smiths who mainly didn't communicate with one another---who would have thought it!

Just for fun: (it being a Friday) check out the Sachsenspiegel a Medieval Law book; when ever they want to show that the person is a Saxon they show them holding their seax up---clear identification at that time!   From Wikipedia: "The Sachsenspiegel (German: [ˈzaksn̩ˌʃpiːɡl̩], literally “Saxon Mirror”; Middle Low German: Sassen Speyghel; Low German: Sassenspegel) is the most important law book and custumal of the Holy Roman Empire. Originating between 1220 and 1235 as a record of existing customary law, it was used in places until as late as 1900. It is important not only for its lasting effect on later German law but also as an early example of written prose in a German language.[1] The Sachsenspiegel is the first comprehensive law book not in Latin, but in Middle Low German language. A Latin edition is known to have existed, but only fragmented chapters remain."   I first ran across it in "Criminal Justice Through the Ages" a book published by the Medieval Criminal Justice Museum, Rothenburg ODT, Germany

20180824_143205.thumb.jpg.3413f1a9a5fa926b95b87b2ee65c54db.jpg

This was my inspiration.a6c8fa0f91103ba14ea02a6ead4acd51.jpg.3ac7607ada186b2f7c05ce397c678321.jpg

I can't remember the name but it is London _________ type III/II. I couldn't get the length and width I wanted because the wrought moves so much easier than the steel it would have distorted the pattern on the spine so I had to live with it.

the first photo is not the same profile as what started this thread

We don't speak old English? Who has the butter seax? It's not on the butter dish. Give that a try at Christmas dinner and let us know how it goes.  :huh:

English is a living language and available for translation in most places on Earth, archaic words are maybe out there too but folks would have to search. I'd rather have folks know what I'm talking about without having to research the ages. Not my knife though and folks have been naming their blades probably as long as we've been making them.

Nice looking blade profile.

Frosty The Lucky.

Takes off Mod cap upon entering thread

JIBlohm

I'm not a knife maker , but did some research & came up with these   . 3 minutes chasing the rabbit down the " google " hole I I came up with this .

attachment.php?attachmentid=86390&stc=1&

attachment.php?attachmentid=86391&stc=1&

The curve on your blade looks nothing like the III/II one in this chart if that's what you where going for .

To me as  a " non knife maker " this is a " Bowie " ( my opinion )

Put's Mod cap back on

On 8/24/2018 at 10:09 AM, JlBlohm said:

I just feel frustrated with the way some people are treated here and some comments that are made by some people in particular. Then you ask for there reasoning and.......... 

Please explain ??????????????

On 8/23/2018 at 12:29 AM, templehound said:

Seax?....as far as I know this is a Bowie blade....but You as the creator can call it like You want

Then  approx. 9 hour later

On 8/23/2018 at 9:19 AM, Steve Sells said:

the question I have is  with carbon miggrati0on and all that wrought , will it harden 

thats not a seax

No answer to the question

Then you come up with this statement .

On 8/23/2018 at 7:04 PM, JlBlohm said:

If you want to get technical. This looks absolutely nothing like what an original Bowie would look like.

Come on Steve...break it down for me. What's not seaxy about this knife? 

Was it you were unfairly being picked in by Steve (remembering templehound stated the same thing 9 hour earlier ) or were you singling out Steve for some other reason ?  I despise personal attacks which I hope this wasn't

Personal attacks on members & / or staff will not be tolerated on IFI .

Personal attacks happen all the time on this forum by mods and members alike and this is what I'm frustrated with. Sometimes I wonder what is easier to leave some of the xxxx comments or keep it simple polite and point someone in the right direction. Or maybe explain instead of leaving a comment then leaving the conversation without explanation. Or a mod editing a xxxxxx comment into your comment in a post for absolutely no reason.

If you feel the need to ban me at least I had the opportunity to speak my mind. Good day to everyone!!!

You not being able to understand the reason(s),  does not mean there were none

I left the convie as you put it,  only after you started making demands and complaining I was not  posting fast enough for you.  Then I finally decided it is not worth arguing. 

Funny how you never answered the questions that were posted to you, but still insist everyone carter to you.   I never insulted you or said your knife was bad,   I did ask if it hardened and I did say you mislabeled it. as did others, but you decided to take it personally.

JIBlohm  , if you have a problem with " anything " including a " personal attack " report it to the site admin ( aka ) Glenn , then he can look into the problem & sort it out .

4 hours ago, JlBlohm said:

If you feel the need to ban me at least I had the opportunity to speak my mind. Good day to everyone!!!

Your not banned , just under Moderation for now .

Thread is now locked

Dale Russell

IFI Staff