I Forge Iron

Experience with Blacksmiths Paradise?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't mind the rocks as much as the household garbage they try to sneak in.  I mean the scrapyard is NEXT DOOR to the trash transfer station!

Now the scrapyard fills up cars with random scrap before they crush them flatter. Allows them to use a flatbed and just net the results.

On 4/6/2020 at 8:37 AM, JHCC said:

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd edition:

On 4/4/2020 at 7:56 AM, blacksmithhammer said:

When the weight is not engraved on the anvil, the weighing of the anvil is sometimes wrong because he use heavy chain (about 60 lb) to increase the weighing of the anvil. The weighing of the anvil is not the number written on the screen, on the screen is the weighing of the anvil and the chain. So the weighing of the anvil is lighter about 60 lb.

I don't know what happened but my post had this quote in it. That was what I referred to when I said hope he had proof of that statement. Seems the quote was removed or lost somehow.

I see why you quoted it, and I apologize to BillyBones because it looks like I addressed his post.

On 4/4/2020 at 3:33 PM, Jonnytait said:

I would have thought a fancy set of scales like that would have the ability to be set to zero after the chains were fitted, giving an accurate reading of anvil weight?

Yes of course but if you don't press the button to set the zero you add the weight of the chain to the weight of the anvil

Well I agree its possible that someone could do that, but it would be seriously bad for business. I hope thats not the case. Have you had a bad experience with this seller personally? Probably not the kind of thing to accuse someone of without having any proof

On 4/5/2020 at 8:10 PM, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

I certainly hope you have proof of that statement.

Emerald's anvil weighs 740.50 pounds. Another anvil found on the internet weighs 681.6 pounds. The two anvils are not ALMOST the same but EXACTLY the same because they are not forged but cast iron built with the same mold.

- pesee emerald - Photo 01.jpg

- pesee emerald - Photo 02.jpg

- pesee emerald - Photo 03.jpg

- pesee emerald - Photo 04.jpg

- pesee emerald - Photo 05.jpg

- pesee emerald - Photo 06.jpg

- pesee emerald - Photo 07.jpg

- pesee emerald - Photo 08.jpg

Black S Hammer

Have you purchased anything from Emerald so as to have a complaint with what you received ?

I believe you are mis informed.  

I purchased 2 anvils and a large vise from him last year. Each item was as described and the proper weight.  About 2 months ago I met him at a Blacksmith demo in Texas. He seemed to be a very nice decent person, who is selling European anvils cheaper than the Antique dealers here sell ASO anvils.

On 4/4/2020 at 10:02 PM, Frosty said:

I'd be very surprised the person who owns the fork lift, scale and sells anvils would be so stupid as to pull a stunt like that. Word of mouth would kill his chances of selling anything.

How many blacksmiths have a scale and a fork lift and will have the curiosity to reweigh their anvil ? Not a lot, I think...

As I said On what are you basing this opinion ?

I have multiple forklifts and a scale!  And Curiosity!

I received exactly what I was sold

559# sexy south german with excellent rebound and beautiful lines for $3.25 a pound all in.  What is to complain about that? People on flea pay are asking $10 per pound for boat anchors shaped like an anvil!

11 minutes ago, Old Crew said:

I received exactly what I was sold

I'm not saying that all weighings are wrong. In any case, a part of the anvils have their weight engraved on the anvil, therefore impossible to have a bad weighing. But some weighings are wrong because the weight of the chain is added to the weight of the anvil. I gave you an example.

43 minutes ago, Old Crew said:

559# sexy south german with excellent rebound and beautiful lines for $3.25 a pound all in.  What is to complain about that? People on flea pay are asking $10 per pound for boat anchors shaped like an anvil!

that's exactly the problem, with a price per pound, if the anvil is heavier the price is heavier too.

The price is 3500 Euro / 3800 USD and the real weight 681 lb, The price is $5,58 a pound

09.jpg

26 minutes ago, blacksmithhammer said:

part of the anvils have their weight engraved on the anvil, therefore impossible to have a bad weighing.

I've seen the marked weight on an anvil be off by almost 10 pounds and I'm sure many other members here who have many more years of experience than I do have also. 

Pnut

Okay guys. I think we've given the kid more attention than he has shown to deserve. In his imagination "cheating" COULD be going on so he's crying wolf. Probably even THINKS he's doing something good. 

BShammer: Before you make accusations you really need to have evidence of wrongdoing or you could find yourself liable in court. You may believe that being a minor keeps you safe from prosecution but you're posting on an international electronic media. Meaning you're possibly slandering an honest man, across State lines. The federal government does NOT recognize being a minor as an excuse. Oddly enough the Feds don't always need someone to complain to bring suit. Some new guy looking to make a rep could ruin your next couple years. Even if you are acquitted you will have had to pay lawyers. 

If you have evidence produce it. If not drop it before word gets to the wrong person. 

Better yet, if you have something of a blacksmithing nature to discuss or ask please speak up. Otherwise give us a break.

Frosty The Lucky.

I bought some anvils from Emerald for me and a friend who blacksmith and ended up with a terrible experience.

He was very friendly and responsive to emails. The anvils shipped, but it costs a lot more than he mentions because you have to pay customs and a custom broker fee and other transportation fees, I think it ended up costing about $1250 to get the pallet to a local depot where I could pick it up from. It would have been more to get it to my house. He did a great job packing the anvil.

The anvils looked all as described and we were initially pretty happy with the purchase, however, One of the anvils arrived and I was cleaning it up and discovered a very large crack that extended the full length of the side of the flat horn. I then rung the anvil with a hammer and realized it sounded completely flat. It was a dead giveaway the crack was significant.  It was a large 300 kg anvil and I looked at his photos and you just could barely make it out in the photos if you knew exactly what you were looking for, so it was not from shipment.

I contacted him and informed him politely of the situation and if he felt like I was SOL, or if he would be willing to put some money towards a repair because he had described the anvil in outstanding condition and I had been a good customer who purchased a few anvils. I thought it was an honest mistake, but based on his lack of response and that a rebound test or a hammer would quickly let you know there is an issue with the anvil, i am not sure about him.

He never contacted me back, I attempted 3 emails and called, always no answer or call back. It left a bad taste in my mouth that he wouldn't even say "sorry, they are all sold as is"

I payed a friend who is a professional welder to grind out the crack and weld it back up, took him 12 hours between the arc gouging and the welding, the crack went about 3 inches deep (half way across the face) and the whole depth of the flat horn (about 10") 

Still bothers me every now and then, and this was over a year ago

International freight shipments are tricky. I found what I thought was a cheap flypress until I did some research and found out how much it was going to cost to get it shipped with insurance from Turkey to a US port and get it through customs and then freight from port to final destination. I ended up passing needless to say. 

Pnut

when you sell an old anvil, it is an absolute necessity to remove the old paint because the old paint may hide crack or repairs

for example the anvil below is completly covered with paint.

The paint probably hide a repair of the top of the horn. The color of the paint is not the same probably because the iron of the top on the horn is not the same that the iron of the anvil. It is not a problem to sell an anvil with repairs but it is a problem to sell an anvil 7000 euros and leaving the paint and therefore preventing the client from judging the anvil. Especially if the client only has the pictures to judge.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

I've been looking for a small used anvil for a while and found a 68 pound Fisher that I was thinking about getting before I seen an NC tool company anvil that was the weight I was looking for that was the same price. It's not a Fisher but it's brand new so I know nothing should be wrong with it and if there is it will have a warranty. For the price of some of these used anvils you could probably have one cast for you by Holland anvils out of H-13 for the same price. It would definitely be worth looking into. 

Pnut

14 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Easy to tare weigh a chain and then use it to lift an anvil and get the correct weight.  Shoot the 9-10? year old grandson of my local scrapyard owner knows how to do that.

Of course.
The good question is "Why using sometimes a heavy chain to the weighing while you have light straps in stock ?"

image 01.jpg

15.jpg

Seriously....you have no clue what your talking about. That anvil isn't  covered in paint. That's rust. I repeat the anvils I got were as described and weighed exactly what the scale said. I am buying a couple more anvils from emerald as we speak. one is 628 lbs. We will see if the weight is the same when it gets here. I would put money that it is exactly as described!!!

14 minutes ago, Benona blacksmith said:

Seriously....you have no clue what your talking about. That anvil isn't  covered in paint. That's rust. I repeat the anvils I got were as described and weighed exactly what the scale said. I am buying another anvils from emerald as we speak. This one is 628 lbs. We will see if the weight is the same when it gets here. I would put money that it is exactly as described!!!

no rust but old french paint

if it is yours below, the weighing is done with straps and not chain so no problem.

16.jpg

59 minutes ago, blacksmithhammer said:

Why using sometimes a heavy chain to the weighing while you have light straps in stock ?"

Maybe they didn't want to walk across the shop to get the straps? Maybe the chains were closer,maybe the strap was holding something else.  What difference does it make? 

Pnut