I Forge Iron

Demo Question????

Alright, I am thinking about going to our local fair and setting up my forge. The county we live in has about 17,500 people in it. The booth space is $200 (for six 6-hour days.) Can anybody tell me if I am likely to come out? I have done demos before where I made $120 in about 3 hours. Then again I have been to demos where I made $25 all day. (That might have been because my stuff was displayed next to a professional's $75 letter opener:(.) Let me know! Thanks!

The kidsmith,
Dave Custer

No one can guarantee you anything, its all a gamble. With the price gouging on gas attendance may be down and money tight too. Rich is right women especially like to pick thru several of the same thing to pick the one that is just right. Just be considerate of your customers and don't put on airs or guess at answers to questions they might ask, If you don't know tell them so. There will always be some in the crowd who know more than you do. If someone tells you, you are doing something wrong offer them the hammer and ask them to show you. Puts the knowitalls in their place and earns the respect of others. If they persist but won't show you, just tell them you learned it the way you are doing it.

yo have the problem everyone who does shows has ... will they pay? Ive done shows that were hiped and real expencive (1000+ for 10x10 ) and shows that were 20 bucks ane they are always a crap shoot! all ya can do is give it your best and injoy!! try not to worry about the money and be nice ! Good luck! and let us know how ya did! ime gettin ready for my season on the road so i do uncerstand the worry (gas is gona eat a hole in my budget) I am doing to major rondesvous and 2 state fairs (oregon then washington) and probably a few other shows in there also... again good luck!

Dave, I say if you can afford the space, do it. You will really enjoy it if you are not there trying to recoup your space cost. Just have a good time, be friendly and focus your eyes and attention on the few in the crowd who seem really interested (usually children). Sometimes you will also notice someone sitting back in the crowd who stays for a considerable amount of time. Those are the people who are being drawn into the hobby and are the real reason to attend shows like these anyway. Do it and have fun.

dablacksmith, I will have to drive up to the Oregon state fair and say hi. That should be a good time. Have you done the Oregon or Washington fairs before?

Chris

Yes, demos are a crap shoot. While I do bring a selection of finished work to my demos, I also try to arrange ahead of time to have a finished piece be picked up by a customer. This for the simple reason that potential customers have an opportunity to ask what they think of their new aquisition, why they chose me for the work, what they thought of the transaction, etc.. If time permits at the demo, I sometimes try to produce a larger piece as well as several smaller items - for those that stick around and watch, they have a better understanding of the time and effort required for craftsmanship.

This is a time to toot your own horn, though not too loudly.

I view demos mainly as an opportunity to generate future sales, the pieces I bring with me a primarily to offset fuel costs (especially these days).

Remember, people who buy your work are actually buying YOU and your work. It is difficult not to grow a large ego when someone drools all over your work and throws money at you for your hard-work (it is pretty cool, though). Also, do not be discouraged if someone does not buy your work, it is not because of poor quality, simply a different sense of taste - not everyone thinks knee-high argyle socks are cool.

Hey Dave,

All of the fellas above are spot on. Daryl hit it on the head when he said shows, markets and demos are about future sales.

I sell at Farmer's markets and demos and I consider them exposure venues - a place for me and my work to get noticed.

There's absolutely no predicting what the crowd is gonna do for you sales wise. Put your best stuff out there and see what gets the attention.

We're not selling anything anyone needs so it has to appeal to them for reasons of their own - somedays your stuff will fly outta the booth - others, not so much.

Demos are a bit tougher because the people are faced with buy it now or it goes away - While that lends itself to impulse buying, sometimes they like to give it some thought then come back for it.

No matter which way it goes, it'll be worth doing. Have fun and let us know how you do!

Dave, I say if you can afford the space, do it. You will really enjoy it if you are not there trying to recoup your space cost. Just have a good time, be friendly and focus your eyes and attention on the few in the crowd who seem really interested (usually children). Sometimes you will also notice someone sitting back in the crowd who stays for a considerable amount of time. Those are the people who are being drawn into the hobby and are the real reason to attend shows like these anyway. Do it and have fun.

dablacksmith, I will have to drive up to the Oregon state fair and say hi. That should be a good time. Have you done the Oregon or Washington fairs before?

Chris

Its gona be the first year for the oregon state fair but m 5th or 6 year for the washington state fair at puyallup... its gona be over a month of fairs 11 days for the oregon and 17 days for the washington... I really injoy the washington state fair as it is a co op . we have from 5-8 blacksmiths every year working together! so i get to hang out with other blacksmiths see them demo and learn from them for over 2 weeks! and the weekend after there is the nwba fall conference ... then home! I find i sell more if i am demoing rather than just selling (ringing anvil sells!) and some places will pay you to demo! I used to have a show that paid me to demo but required a percentage of sales ... it usually ended up a wash but it kept everybody happy! injoy your show!

As mentioned the ringing anvil will draw them in---wear good earplugs so you can still hear to talk with people but the anvil doesn't deafen you.

You can usually demo or you can sell stuff. Don't expect to do both---you really need someone to watch the shop as you work or who can keep an eye on things when you visit the facilities. If you can partner with another smith you can trade off duties and both profit more!

Are there other smiths at this Fair? What do they do? Anybody selling cheap imported "flashy" stuff that will cut into your sales?

How many folks attend the fair? Number in the county doesn't mean nothing...

SWABA has done the NM State Fair fro a number of years. We have a very nice demo trailer with two stations and they set us up on a nice shady street on the way to the Ag part of the fair. We get a special price; but in return we demo for the entire fair. Getting enough smiths lined up for 14-20 days of demo'ing is rough but having a great group we manage---one of the "rules" is that if you have stuff out on display for sale you have to demo as well. Some smiths make considerable sales at the fair with the club taking a cut, (much lower than a gallery or consignment store), and you don't have to be there the entire time. We've also gotten leads on smithing equipment from folks there.

Anyway Have business cards! A good way is to punch a hole in the corner and have it be the pricetag for the item.

Thomas

I don't think I am going to do the fair. #1 I don't have $200 to gamble with.#2 there are other events in the area. I called about one and it is only $35 for a10x15 space. (three days, Plus I get to watch the Jessie James gang rob the bank of Columbia:)) Also, I have a couple of Civil War reenactments that I am going to do and they are real cheap. (I do Civil War reenacting as a hobbie, and so I do blacksmithing at them as well.) I guess I am just to much of a coward!:)
Thanks for the input though!
The kidsmith,
Dave Custer

• 3 weeks later...

I can`t says I disagree with you! $200.00 is a big gamble, but then again 6 days you may be able to make it up who knows! I have a demo coming up o have to pay $50.00 but there is always ABUNCH of people at the outdoor show and the people who have booths usally do good! I`am going to take my gamble on this one! so all I know tell ya is go for the other demos that ain`t such a gamble.
Thanks,Chris

I demo just about every weekend at Union Mills, only get alot of spectators when we actually have events and then I can make some money, the other times don't matter as this is my main blacksmithing shop anyway.

I do re-enactments and they are fairly cheap and can bring in good money. I always try to bring pre-made items to these events to sell and spend the rest of the weekend making custom items for spectators or other re-enactors.

Alot of times you and special events around your town or neighboring towns that really want a blacksmith and won't charge you to participate in their event. I have one in Gettysburg, Pa and Hanover, Pa that is this way. Both draw alot of spectators.

As far as Items to sell, you need to get an idea of the spectators that will attend.

Re-enactments: You have a mixture of people at these events. Bring items that the re-enactors can use. Hooks & stands for lanterns, musket stands, s-hooks, cooking untensils, fire grates, etc. also make items that will cross-over to civilians like trivets, horseshoe nail items (ladel keychains, rings, heart pendants, leaf key chains. etc.), hot dog roasting forks etc. Dinner bells do real well.

The events in Gettysburg and Hanover, I will deal mainly with non-re-enactors, so I'm looking a souvenir type objects, dinner bells, cowboy hat paper weights and such.

Knowing the type of people you will be dealing with and the coast of living around the area will tell you alot on what to bring, make and how much to price it.

Reb

The Civil War Blacksmith

I worked at the NC state fair a couple of days last year and had a blast. Their setup is pretty neat with a center "demo-er" and a side smith who just bangs away and answers random questions. I was the side guy for two days and gave away about two dozen various hooks, leaves, and the random knot. One guy did not believe that an overhand knot could be tied without tongs in one heat. I let him have the knot:D

I was even interviewed for a local college radio show. she got a hook with a twisted shaft and leaf on the top (which I worked on during the whole interview) as a gift when asked "do you do horse shoes?"

I plan on attending this year as well and plan on making horse shoes:D
0185.JPG horseshoe_keychain1.JPG