I Forge Iron

Holland Anvils

Some folks love depressions and others through holes.  As I have dishing forms and bolster plates  I would be more interested in the edge shapes my current block has arcs on two sides and half hexes on one side and V's on the last side that seem to do well with my forging. Though anything I do a lot of seems to drive making a bottom swage for my anvil to handle it.

Swage blocks are one of those items like a cone mandrel that everyone wants , even if they don't have a use for one. My Dad torched our block out on a CNC torch at the community college. We could buy scrap plate that was 2" thick for ten cents a pound. We were going to drill the smaller holes, but never got around to it - and that shows how much it was needed..... ;) .   IIRC the upper right square was one of the hardy hole sizes. Angles I believe were 60 and 90 degrees If I was making one I would concentrate on the edge shapes like Thomas. 60 degree will do triangular or hex depending on how deep you drive it. The  90's will do Square , 45x45x90 triangles, or octagon if not driven all the way down.

As for depressions. They are only good if they are exactly what you want - too many variables, plus how many people make spoons? I just use a stump for the few spoons I have made. 

image.png

• 6 months later...

I designed and cast an anvil from adi ductile and got the same response from the same guy. He told me it was crap and I had no business trying to make or sell them. We added some to the adi formula to get us a little bit harder end product. But myself and other Smith's have pounded steel on this and said it was a pleasure. So just take negative nancies with a grain of salt.

• 1 month later...

I did read and I did PM but given the less than 50% response of timely PM in my experience across numerous forums. I thought I would ask other members for help. If this is not an appropriate approach to ask for help please advise and I will never take that approach again

Respectfully

Branson

6 hours ago, Branson1369 said:

I did read and I did PM (the owner of Holland anvils) but given the less than 50% response of timely PM in my experience across numerous forums. I thought I would ask other members for help.

You posted 6 hours ago and got an immediate response to your post on the site.  I have always had very quick responses from Holland anvils by PM and email. 

I found an  avenue via the web to communicate with the owner of Holland Anvils other than FB and what a polite, knowledgeable professional. I suspect given his obvious commitment to customers the product is likely outstanding. His product given that interaction is now one of the top anvils in consideration for my shop up fit