I Forge Iron

Am I missing anything by not having a fire pot?

silly goose

I've been using a coal forge for about a year and a half now, that doesn't have a firepot.  It is about 24"x30" and just has a flat deck where the air comes up through the bottom.  I've used it the way it is for a while, and then used fire brick to simulate a firepot.  Am I missing anything by not having a firepot?  I'd hate to spend $350-400 and not see any real benefit to it.  Just wondering what you folks with more experience might feel about this.  Thanks.

Fyi, I'm just a hobbyist, content to make plenty of hooks, plant hangers, puzzles, strikers, chisels, punches and what not as I learn my way through. 

Basically the firepot allows your fire to not be so high on your table. The firepot also tends to get the sweet spot of the fire roughly at table level, so you can place your stock horizontally. You have plenty of room on your table with your adjustments to be able to use it effectively, raising the sweet spot and using the bricks to contain things. You also have the ability to make a larger or smaller fire as needed by adjusting the bricks. You have your system sorted out to work for you. I would just use it as- is.

Steve

Fire pots eliminate the need for a thick table/box of refractory material (dirt or brick) they make forges a big more portable. 

The down side is your pretty much stuck with one depth and size of fire. With out a pot you can sculpt what ever Size and shape you need. So if you are forging nails you don’t need a fire big enugh to weld 2” billets 

• 5 weeks later...

A good firepot enables you to have 4" of coke under your iron and 2" on top. And your stock will be parallel to your fire. You can get this with a flat bottomed forge,  ut you will most likely burn more coal.

The reason for the 4" below is to consume the oxygen and the 2" above does the same. This makes a neutralizing enviroment for your work. Thus less scale.

I also recomend a "clinker breaker". Its misnamed. It will break clinker but its main function is to make it easy to dump ash without breaking apart your fire.  Its best to remove your clinker with your fire tools.

Firepot doesn't have to mean expensive cast iron fire pot.  Anything that shapes the fire and creates depth to your fire is a fire pot.  If you use bricks you have a pot.. Of sorts...  You can add a brake drum if you want a little more definition and depth and those are free.