I Forge Iron

Show me your clinker

There have been several questions about clinker, what it is, what it looks like, etc. Next time you clean out the forge, take a photo, and show me the clinker. Not a contest, just informational photos.

The right photo is clinker from forging with dirty coal. You can see the rocks embedded in the glass like clinker.

Last weekend I had the fire lit for about 4 hours and got a very small amout that looked like the clinker on the right minus the rocks.
I have looked everwhere for coal in Calif., and can only find it at a ferrier supply in Sacramento, about 60 miles from me.
Comes in white woven plastic sacks. 50lbs for $29. Don't remember the label on the bag. I will have to look tonight.

Sacramento sells Cumberland Elkhorn Coal, the same as Lazzari Fuel Company in San Francisco. Same price, too.

We used to have two houses that sold coal in Sacramento. We had three grades to chose from; two good, and one 'clinker city' that was so cheap I had to try it once. It was so bad I had had a huge clinker that clogged my air intake after just an hour of burning. The other stuff was just as good as Elkhorn, and probably WAS Elkhorn, but my pea brain can't remember.

I mostly like the Elkhorn coal as it really generates significant heat and few clinkers, but I don't like the sizing. I have a small forge and found smaller sized coal packs better. I resolved it by sifting the coal through a plastic milk crate that has 1" holes on the bottom. The bigger chunks remaining get busted with a hammer then added to the mix. Much better.

The only coal within driving distance for me here in Fall Creek, Oregon also sells Cumberland/Elkhorn coal. I really agree with the sizing issue but thanks for that handy tip on sifting it through a plastic milk crate. Other than the size, you really cant beat the coal. I can forge for 8 plus hours and only have a very small clinker. I have yet to find a coal that burns as hot with such little ash or clinker as this. Good stuff.

I got a load of coal that's supposed to be poco #3 W.V. from a coal yard in Brazil, Ind. Cokes good--burns hot--easy to weld in. I don't think I should be getting clinkers like these pictured with this coal. I usta bring home coal from E. Ky. when visiting relatives, mined locally in Smith, Ky. that didn't have half the clinkers the last load does.

6214.attach

6215.attach

Ten Hammers, you can have that coal delivered...if you're willing to buy multi-ton quantities........contact Green Valley Coal Co. (The old Lady H Mine) -- Leivasy, WV. 1-304-846-6600. They sell the coal and can help arrange the shipping.

I don't know how widespread Aubachon Hardware is, but my local store carries smithing coal. It's from Blaschak Pa. I emailed them for an analysis, and it came back pretty low on ash. It worked good, very little clinker and no stones. $7.50/50lbs.

The stuff we are burning now at the village is so bad I complain when I find coal in my stone pile. :(

Dave

Last weekend I had the fire lit for about 4 hours and got a very small amout that looked like the clinker on the right minus the rocks.
I have looked everwhere for coal in Calif., and can only find it at a ferrier supply in Sacramento, about 60 miles from me.
Comes in white woven plastic sacks. 50lbs for $29. Don't remember the label on the bag. I will have to look tonight.

I don't know if this helps but there is a place in South San Francisco that has coal, don't know if it's closer than sacramento though.

The Horseshoe Barn in Sacramento is only about 55 miles from me.
When I need coal, I call em up and place the order. I send my daughter up to get it and they are top notch.
They place each 50lb sack in a black garbage bag to protect my wifes Expedition, and load her up for me.
The first time I sent her up, I had to call the next day and tell the owner that I was very pleased with the way they treated the sale.
I think at first she thought I was going to complain, but then was relieved when I gave her sales staff praise.

What place?

Its up here in Hagerstown on Burhans Blvd(24 miles From Frederick) called Steffey and Findlay, the have a www. site I cant seem to find thier # at the moment. the last time I bought coal about 2-3 weeks ago (pocohantus nut is what you need to ask for) it was $10.50 for a 65 # bag or around 210 a ton, if your interested in splitting a ton le'me know.

• 1 year later...

You can buy Green Valley coal at the mine (pickup or trailer loading, no bags). If you are within driving distance , it's worth the trip. Call before you go to get the current price...

I guess you could take your own bags and fill them.

Edited by djhammerd

Does anyone know if there is any use for clinker? That would be great if you could do something with it.

It makes an excellent gravel substitute for the floor of my shop.

I am working on a new paving material that consists of clinker, coal ash, and Levi Garrett juice.

I recently aquired a ton or two of 1/2" - 1" sized hard coal (heating coal). It forges well, but clinker is plentiful. It's worth putting up with, since I got the coal for free.