I Forge Iron

Fire-resistant shop floor

Ever since I got started with welding, I've been doing all my hot work outside on my stone porch for fire resistance/safety. However, I've really gotten tired of lugging my tanks about 100' uphill from the shed/shop, and I really don't want to contemplate moving around the forge I'm building. The shed is large enough to work as a smithy as well (Is that going to be a problem? Should I just install a sawdust collector?), but it has a wooden plank floor, and I'm worried about fire resistance.

I'd rather save my money for steel and a nice anvil. What is the cheapest way I can install a functional, fireproof floor?

I've got about an inch of clearance to install the floor in before I start running awry of doors and such.

I just lay down concrete board around my hot drop areas when I'm doing a demo in a parking lot, wooden floor or on grass the host doesn't want burned.

I don't worry about the rest o' the areas where hot drop isn't a problem.
Chasing an errant piece and retrieving it quick enough won't present a fire hazard.

Sheetmetal is probably the easiest way to go, the last time I bought any was a 4' x 8' 16ga and I think it was around $28.
I don't know how big of a floor you need to cover, you could always just spread some sand over it . Welding isn't too bad, it's torch cutting that creates the biggest fire hazzard.

welder19

I used 22ga 4 x 8 sheets to cover the floor and the first 48" of my walls. Best $100 I've spent. I also share the space with my woodworking equipment, but I try to move it outside and keep the metal work indoors where the noise won't bother the neighbours. Another method I used for a while was "quilting" a floor together with scraps from the sheet metal shop at work. Stitching these little pieces for my floor helped improve my tacking and sheet metal skills. I covered about 100 sq ft this way for the cost of some welding wire (maybe $1.00)

Make sure whatever you put on the floor is not slick when it gets a little dust on it. As you lay down on your back, with your knees behind your ears, and just after you are able to breathe again, it becomes important remember where you tossed that hot piece of metal.

if it's an old wood floor have you though of a nice borax solution soak on it? Won't help with the sawdust issues but will help fireproof it from minor exposures. Just like the borax soak on cotton shop aprons will help and then help clean them when they are to be washed---and then need resoaking.

Old galvanized roofing may be a cheaper side wall protector.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

my floor is shale over plastic sheet as well, but the walls have old corrugated roofing tin, with the ridges horizontal, on them. Fire proof, and with some primer and white paint, almost makes the shop bright! Anyway, i would think that standard mild steel sheet would be appropriate on a wooden floor, as long as no oil gets spilled on it! I am not a fan of clay, because if it gets wet it sticks to boots enough to stick ya in place at the anvil.
Just my opinion on the matter.

Ed Steinkirchner