I Forge Iron

Praying while forging

Let me put out this disclaimer first guys. I am a horrid, horrid Christian. I drink, gamble and cuss like a drunken sailor. Well maybe not that bad but I'm definitely not a saint.

But the other night while I was working on making campfire set for the Shanty/Shack (Refer to: http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/f7/items-shack-5275/ ) that me and the guys were building on the river. I decided instead of cussing the metal as I worked it, I would actually have a discussion with God. And halfway through the process where I made that change I noticed that it seemed like the metal actually worked easier. Now when I pray/talk with the big guy I usually just have an actual conversation. It's freaked out my wife before who I swear has come out to see if I've somehow figured out a contraption to mount the telephone to my head while I'm forging. Since I'm one of those guys that can't chew gum and walk at the same time that would be disastrous.

But to make a long story short, things worked out great with the forging and with how I felt afterwards. I usually feel good after a night over the anvil but it was better this time. I just wanted to see if anyone else out there had the same thing happened to them?

-Dan

P.S. I may end up in serious trouble though once the shanty's built though. The only praying that will be done there, I fear, will be to the porcelain deity.

I've not tried that either though I rarely swear while forging, I know talking to the Lord normally makes me feel good. As my pastor says, we are all sinners. The church is not a rest home for saints but a refuge for sinners.
There is nothing against drinking in the Bible, only drinking to excess. Christ drank wine and served it at the last supper, turned the water into wine. If drinking alcohol was bad in itself, it seems like He would have served something else.

It's encouraging to see young smiths & the more aged;) ) relying on the Real Scource, GOD ALMIGHTY. Yes I do pray while forging on occassion but I ALWAY have my radio tuned to a Christian staion that plays the contempary music. KVNE 89.5 on your radio dial or hit their web site to listen. Thanks for sharing.
I have people tell me they don't go to church because ole Mr. Man goes there and I know how he is on the job. Such a hypocrite....Well, truth be known if it were not for the hypocrites in church they ALL would be empty!

You know, I have talked to God while in the shop and it does keep me focused. That makes things go so much better than using a lot of the same words in a different mindset. But somehow I forget and fall back to the old ways. Maybe the other side has my ear and I don't notice it.

One thing I've noticed is that my temper is hugely worse when doing home repair/ carpentry things. I need to bring my talks to God there, too. Maybe I'll even work that in when something screws up on my PC. Although, since I believe that anything related to Micro$oft is a much more direct line to Satan, that may need a more intense concentration.

Thanks for bringing up this thread. It'll steer me back to the right side and hopefully it'll stick this time.

Dan, I think you've got it right!!!
My experience...I was forging "Christmas Nails" (copies of the nails used to hang Christ the cross)
I was doing full size and small versions as gifts for family members and close friends.
Anyway as I worked on each nail I prayed for each person or family the nails was for and
I suddenly realized how I was being touched and amazed at my own feelings. Can't explain but God is Great and wonderful and works in mysterious ways!!!
You don't just have to meet Him in his house, he makes house calls (shop calls) TOO!!!
Keep at it Dan!!!!
God Bless
Tim

I can't understand atheists, atheists dont live for anything bigger than them so how can you make clear choices? on that Track, Cheftjcook; when i forge AND pray at the same time, i note that I am not the one moving the metal and the things that come out look Thousands of times better to me than what i made two minutes earlyer while Im muttering about being low on propain.

(Son_of_bluegrass, Hollon: I truthfully feel sorry for you, seeing all thats around you and thinking it all happend by chance is one thing we christians will Never understand.)

YOU EITHER WORK YOUR PLAN OR YOUR PLAN WORKS YOU![deep pete thought for the
year.]
I DON'T CARE IF YOUR AN ATHIEST OR A DRUID JUMP OUT ON THE SPOOKY SIDE AND TRY TALK'N TO GOD . YOU DON'T HAVE TO TELL ANYBODY!
OH GOD LOVES ATHEIST & DRUIDS !
I THINK YOUR NUTTS ; BUT THAT'S JUST ME!:o
SORRY GLEN ,NOT ALOT BUT SOME SORRY!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Guide lines on the prayer list are as follows:

This is not a religious forum, but a blacksmithing site with (by request) a section to ask for assistance and acknowledge blessings. IForgeIron is a world wide site representing many religions and you therefore SHOULD NOT specifically refer to any one religion or any one God.

IForgeIron does not care in which direction you face when you pray, nor does it care if you stand, bow, kneel, sit, or lay prone when you pray. It does not matter, as the prayer is between you and your God (whatever you perceive your God to be).

Some believe very strongly in their religion and their God, and that is a good thing for them. If someone asks for assistance, and you feel so inclined, please ask YOUR God to assist those in need. Your God may or may not be THEIR God, but the assistance and or blessings from YOUR God should still be appreciated.

To those without a religion or a God, simple wish those in need well, and to be without problems.

Thank you for your cooperation.

IForgeIron is a world wide web site, and invites folks from all religions (and even those without religion) to visit and learn about blacksmithing.

I have let this discussion run a bit to see where it would go, and I think the subject has been discussed with several views being presented. Due to the sensitivity and differing viewpoints of religion, the subject is now closed.