I Forge Iron

Disc blades from a harrow

Sucking condoms up their noses to become famous. On Face Book I'm sure. Okay, I'm good with that, sure it's teenager stupid in spades but it's noting compared to what the idiots were doing when I was a kid, say sniffing glue or dope. In the sniffing reference Dope was what they coated the fabric on airplanes and is the origin for the term "Doper." 

The dopers were the folks who doped airplanes and stayed pretty stoned all day, eventually ended up that way all the time for lack of brain cells. When I was a kid it was model glue for the toluene buzz. Same solvent.

When I think of the really toxic things folk get high on, snorting up a condom seems pretty safe.

Frosty The Lucky.

I can tell you without question I wouldn’t want microtears all through my nasal cavities from when all of the non wear surfaces suddenly have stuff being drug across and up in. Meningitis sure can live peacefully in a persons nose till there’s an open door to your brain next to it. These kids are disgusting I don’t associate with either one of the last 2 generations. 

hammers

propane

metal

fire

Creedence Clearwater revival

ok I said my safe words,  millennials and fidget spinners begone.

Abrasive partials in the earth tend to polish tillage tools, it acualy reduces draught on plows, it was common practice to leave the plow in the ground if one was going to resume plowing the next day or even over the sabith to prevent flash rust from forming when using horses or oxen. The plow was put under a shed and greased out of season.

Over that last hundred years and hundreds of manufacturers and scores of countries; they have used a number of different alloys for discs.  Older ones were often a plain high carbon steel---like 1080, newer ones sometimes use modern abrasion resistant steels, like the boron steels (and so not good for cutting knifeblades out of...spark and quench tests suggested!)

I'd ask your local implement dealer what they have sold over the years---after explaining you do blacksmithing and want to "repurpose" some you have found.

And steel bird feeders can damage birds feet in the winter if you are in a cold climate.

When looking through the bin at the steel place I only grabbed the ones in the picture but they had a 275 gallon bin full of them. I originally only planned on using them for grinder stands but all your great ideas have me planning on going back. I have plenty of room for more.

Charles you were right I took a look at them again and only the beveled face had the paint worn off. The backs are still painted and it doesn't like to come off. I didn't want to turn on the air compressor today so I didn't get after it with the air grinder and I'm sure that'll do the job.

Thomas I preheated and postheated with a mappro torch. The puddle this stuff made when I welded it was very nice.

2018-04-11 23.51.48.jpg

I’m sure there is a thread and I’ll try and find it, but what else do you guys look for at the junkyard as most of us can’t take the junkyard home with us. It’s a vague question but kind of the essential scrap to have around. Maybe with common alloys?

Sort of depends on what you are doing wouldn't it?    Do you need a list of items to use as forms for armour making; or a list of things that are usually good alloys for bladesmithing? Scrap Art?  Ornamental ironwork?  Historical replication? ...?

I do scrap art, welded not forged but I was looking for a list that could tell me things that are going to be different alloys.

tortion bar—alloy—use I.e. hardy tool

coil spring—alloy—use I.e. chisel

harrow blade—alloy— use fire bowl, cooking disco, bench grinder stand.

leaf spring—alloy—use don’t use

Or uses could be avoided entirely and the alloy can help decide its best function

Usually the previous function indicates the possible alloys for it.  May I suggest a web search on:  Junkyard Steel List?  I see a lot of them on the first page of results.  Some even mention that such lists are only "suggestions" and not a hard fast rule!

• 3 months later...