I Forge Iron

Disc blades from a harrow

It is the blade from a disk harrow. Most often refers to simply as a disk. The make handy cooking pans for such things as paella (often called cowboy waks, but they are a bit thick for the localized hot spot) and the warn 24” ones are handy to either drop in the bottom of a 22.5” wheel as a fire bowl. They make nice camp fire bowls if placed on a trivet as well.  

I am assuming a hand torch for the preheat, for the slow cool should I try to wrap it in that cloth stuff for insulating forges (that I cannot for the life of me remember the name of) and maybe stuff it under the cupped portion too or just hit with the torch for a while after welding.

Welding indoors is not obnoxious?  The basic idea is that you don't want cracking in the HAZ due to  the nonwelded mass pulling heat out and "quenching" areas that are above the critical temp.  When we preheated anvils for doing a Gunter repair on them we used weed burners (and an IR temp gun to make sure they didn't overheat!)

I don’t think it’s too bad in a normal situation to weld inside but I guess a couple charcoal briquettes shouldn’t be too terrible how long am I looking to slow the haz cool down to, I guess I don’t know the alloy because that may be a relevant question.

side note if anyone knows the name of the set of books about metal alloys and their properties I want to buy them

I find that old copies of the ASM handbooks generally do fine for the types of things I am doing.  New ones have breath taking prices...Bladesmithing books usually discuss the alloys they work with.  Machinerys Handbook has a list of alloys and what they would be good for,  Welding texts discuss how to weld certain alloys.  What is exactly is your need?

The idea is to keep it above or at a good tempering temperature for the alloy till it cools past the critical temp. (So if any parts accidentally harden they automatically get the temper drawn) If you don't need the hardness err on the higher drawing temps.

And using charcoal indoors IS A BAD THING!!!! Please Don't Do It! (Unless you have happened to buy the largest NIMBA anvil and willed it to me in your will; then doing unsafe things is strongly encouraged---Can I get you some deep fried potatoes to go with the steak and eggs you are eating while parachuting backwards on a motorcycle  from a low height into a barrel full of rattlesnakes going over a tall falls?  Seconds?)

5 minutes ago, Steve Sells said:

you do know that the wool stuff is toxic right ?

A breathing hazard Steve, not actually Toxic. Takes longer to kill you that way.

Are you starting to think of this as an exercise in natural selection like I am about now? 

Frosty The Lucky.

He's actually pretty bright, I think he'll pick up on what folks are saying. I have my fingers crossed he's just brainstorming ideas and will let sense rule. I hope were not watching evolution in action. :unsure:

Frosty The Lucky.

8 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

What is exactly is your need?

I just want it on hand I have certain chemistry texts and mechanical engineering books for various reasons. 

As to the concerns about K wool, I agree that it poses hazards that I would not expose others to however when I worked with it previously I used a 3m p100 respirator, nitrile gloves and a full face shield. I understand the risks but I also know precautions need to be taken into consideration. I would like a better option for sure but I don’t have the ability to use charcoal briquettes.  I will look into heat treating processes.

I thought the Tide pod fad was over in favor of something dumber. Never heard of huffing condoms or are they using them to hold a gas, mist, etc? I am just so out of the modern get high chemicals loop. Yeah, I like to get to know someone a little before I let my imagination lose on them. I don't suffer from insanity I thoroughly enjoy it. :)

I see you are free associating Mellin, good you had us worried. I don't have so many friends I can afford to lose one if I can help it. A lot of the things you were brainstorming were just plain dangerous, a couple for everybody in the house.

Frosty The Lucky.

I can’t even begin to believe the stuff people are doing now a days such stupidity, that’s a complaint I’m sure every generation says about the next but this last 17 years has been a downward spiral of stupid

I looked up a coulter wheel and one of the results was almost exact  except mine are all shiny maybe even polished.  What type of steel generally are they made of.

If they were trying to get high that would be too easy. These kids are literally just sniffing condoms up their nose to make a video and post it online.

I say garage but is not an attached building on the acreage I’m generally the only one in the building not that I can be free to be an idiot. Since this will be hardly structural I might just preheat weld and hit it with a torch for a while after I’m done. I’m welding a 1 inch square tube to the disc on one end then to a 3/8 plate on the other. My grandpa was a simple man and for as longer than I’ve been alive grandpa always had a bench grinder with one of these as a stand just making one like his and maybe one for a vise.