I Forge Iron

picked up a couple of larger post vises

JT

I recently picked up a couple of larger post vises.. ( when it rains it pours )  the second one came along unexpected but these larger ones don't come along around here as often. so the price was right, so I grabbed it... these are how they look now. the first has 7 1/4" jaws and very heavy ( haven't weighted it yet but over 150 lbs. ) the threads are good and have actually been keep well greased .. it  came out of a old sugar beet factory, and after a bit of negotiating became mine..  it needed a pivot bolt and I got a square headed 7/8" bolt and nut for it..  the other one has a 6 1/4"  Jaw, and is newer and more neglected but still has good threads . its about half as heavy ( or feels like it ) but still heavy enough as to not want to carry it far !! lol   I will wire wheel these and oil them then repost photos with the results ..  JT

IMG_0474.JPG

IMG_0475.JPG

IMG_0476.JPG

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0487.JPG

IMG_0489.JPG

IMG_0488.JPG

thank you !!!  the light weight one. lol..  does say Columbian hardware, Cleveland  on the mount.. I'm not sure on the heavy weight.. thinking possibly Columbian also ... it would have had a rounded head "carriage head type"  pivot bolt originally .. 

I don't really know what brand it is. I was just going by what I've seen other earlier Columbians have, with chamfered legs and beveled cheeks that the pivot bolt goes through, and most seem to have a "rounded head " pivot bolt that this one originally had.   what are your thoughts as to the maker ??  JT   

JT must be one strong dude with excellent aim to get you (Ranchmanben) from his house to TX.. :)  pow, zip, ka-pow. crunch.. Dah, dah, dah, Batman..

Sorry, I couldn't resist..   Both great vises :) 

JT - It looks to me that the bigger vise is missing it's original bottom bolt and that it was a tapered affair with a flat rivet head, using a forged in detent or boss to hold it properly..

This is strictly going from seeing the notch just over the bolt.. If this is the case it should be replaced with such a bolt..

There is an early thread on here I responded to which explains the why's and how's ..   These special bolts are usually why the vise may have some problems with jaw alignment..

Not saying yours does, but when you pull the bolt that is in the bottom pivot check for a taper..

On 3/5/2018 at 5:42 AM, jlpservicesinc said:

JT - It looks to me that the bigger vise is missing it's original bottom bolt and that it was a tapered affair with a flat rivet head, using a forged in detent or boss to hold it properly.  Not saying yours does, but when you pull the bolt that is in the bottom pivot check for a taper..

yes it was missing the pivot bolt and it does have a boss to hold it from turning . I don't think it is a tapered hole though as the 7/8" bolt went through both holes snuggly and the jaws line up properly.. but when I take it apart to wire wheel it I will defiantly look into it closer. I agree I would like to have the correct type bolt there.. thanks, JT   

• 3 weeks later...