I Forge Iron

Swage Block Necessity

JonathonCrow

I love anything that has to do with tools, especially blacksmithing tools. I’ve seen swage blocks for sale in several places, but they are quite expensive. I’ve been very tempted to buy one, but I’ve questioned their overall usefulness versus how much they cost. Does anyone think they’re worth the small fortune that people ask? If so, what is a fair price?

Worth is based on what YOU are doing. How YOU do it. How much YOU are doing it, Whether YOU have tools to work around not having one. Whether YOU can make tools to work around. What YOUR financial situation is. Etc. Hard for US to answer those questions.

Me, I bought a 125 pound swage block for US$125 back 35 or so years ago. I was single and very well employed. I use it infrequently for my hobby smithing; but it comes in handy for "one offs" when I don't want to build tooling.  Many smiths want them for the depressions they have for dishing or shovel making.  Having done armour I have a lot nicer dishing tools and I free form shovels.

One way to figure it out is: if you tossed a dollar into the can every project you used it for how long would it take you to pay it off?

6 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

One way to figure it out is: if you tossed a dollar into the can every project you used it for how long would it take you to pay it off?

Another good thing to ask yourself before making an expensive purchase is "What is some random tool, jig, storage rack, etc. that could I make in _____ amount of time that would come in handy just as much as this expensive item?

Today's modern technology makes it so easy to go "shopping" without a list. We see something and go ''hey, I might could use one of those'' instead of waiting for a true *need* to arise. If you find yourself asking the question "I want this, but is it really useful?'', you probably don't need it badly enough to spend the money on it.

Personally there have been some times I could have used one but not enough need to go and buy one. And that "I can't pass that up" deal hasn't presented itself yet. Until that deal comes around or the job or jobs come around that will warrant the price of one, I'm good with my work around Makeshift tools. 

My comment is not totally related to this thread but I have not forgotten an event that happened maybe 20 years ago. I was at an auction and the auctioneer walked up to a beautiful old swage block and called it hunk of steel. I bought it for 20 dollars. I only owned it for about 15 minutes as a person rushed up to me and insisted that a neighbor had sent him to buy the swage block. I was not smithing at the time but knew I had something of value. I sold it to him for 120 dollars. I am still kicking myself for letting him have it. I am not sure what it weighed but it was all I could do to pick it up and get it on the tail gate of my truck. I now have a junker cast iron one that I get a bit of use out of. A lot older now and a little bit smarter. 

A friend was offered one for free a couple of years ago, and turned it down.  I have one that was burned out of 2" thick plate at the community college welding night class back in the 90's and have yet to use it.  It really just depends on what you are making. Being a machinist and having some fabrication background I look at the prices and think  - I can make that for less.  The one above was free to cut on the CNC in class and the steel was scrap from Kaiser Steel and 10 cents a pound. My Dad burned out two identical ones, and I am tempted to match them up and make it so they can be bolted  together to make it 4" wide.  But, then I will still need to find a project to use it on....

Love mine.  I make 1/3 to 1/2 of my income from architectural metalwork.  I wouldn't be without one for that kind of work.  Said this before and will say it again- set it up like an anvil, on a clean dedicated stand near the forge and think of it like an anvil with interesting shapes, because that's what it is.  Once you get that mindset and physical/logistical functionality, it becomes a great tool.  

Being a newer smith, I certainly can't justify the prices swage blocks are commanding today.  I really can see them being useful to have and one of those tools that you are glad you have when you need it in a pinch.  Personally, I have a 40 lb block of steel that I plan on dishing out the round spots on and making into my own wage block.  I think I'll use the dished out spots a lot and even a leaf depression or two more than anything that a swage block could offer.  I'd love to get a few different sized holes machined through it and size up the sides for round and square stock someday.  I'd like the capability to make frying pans with it.

8 hours ago, tkunkel said:

Bubba682,

Any photos of your tealight candle holders or your swage?  Thanks.

Tom

Well i would like to say yes i thought i had some on the members photos did a search can't find any and i cant upload any cause there in my new phone which i broke today two weeks after i broke my old phone.Soooo it'll be awhile .

• 2 weeks later...