I Forge Iron

"Wholly Contained"

Exo313

So, my city bylaws state no open burns are permitted without a burn permit (a new permit needed for every fire..), and defines "open" as "where the flame is not wholly contained". This includes mostly-containing fire containers like chimineas. 

How would you design a charcoal forge where the flame is fully contained? 

I'm sort of thinking about modifying a small charcoal bbq, both for appearances and because you can throw a lid on it.

Best bet would be to ask officials, in an anonymous manner, what those codes entail for what you’re wanting to do. Tell them you’re planning on building a forge and maybe even provide some detailed drawings. Inform them of the number, types, and locations of your fire extinguishers in proximity to the forge and see what they have to say. 

Of course you could build a gas forge and not have to worry about it. 

May not want to use the word forge or build. 

If they allow a BBQ then you may slip under the radar. Find an old weber type grill and add a fire pot, brake drum, rotor, etc in the bottom. Cut a slot in the side to insert in metal into the fire. When your finished forging put the food grill back in place, and cover as you normally would.

If they allow a chiminea then you can build a circular container with a short chimney. Use a small opening in the front to add fuel and or metal.

What ever you use, make it fancy, paint it with fresh paint, and grill a hot dog ever now and then so you can say yes, I use it for cooking food.

Tell them the anvil and hammers are for tenderizing the meat. And you like it really tender. ;) 

I like the forge in the bbq grill idea. 

The question is: do you have neighbors that will be annoyed by the hammering and cause issues? Will it be out in the open or in the back yard? 

Whatever you do do it safely and keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case and to ease the minds of anyone that does see it. 

Aha! "No permit shall be required for commercially produced out door appliances burning charcoal, propane, or natural gas that conforms to the Canadian Standards Association" (CSA) codes and standards".

Methinks the charcoal barbecue is the way to go...

Edit: Alternately, though the price is steep compared with making my own, I can buy NC Tool forges through a Canadian farrier supply company. Anyone had experience?