I Forge Iron

Blacksmith Museum Section

Stopped by Lehmans Hardware today & while there visited the Kidron Community Historical Society museum.

I'd been there before researching furniture but this trip I noticed a blacksmith section.

Snapped some pics & thought I'd share.

*** I'd never seen cannonball tongs before ! 

IMG_7457.JPG

IMG_7458.JPG

IMG_7459.JPG

IMG_7460.JPG

IMG_7461.JPG

IMG_7462.JPG

IMG_7463.JPG

IMG_7464.JPG

IMG_7465.JPG

IMG_7466.JPG

IMG_7467.JPG

IMG_7468.JPG

IMG_7469.JPG

IMG_7470.JPG

IMG_7471.JPG

IMG_7472.JPG

IMG_7473.JPG

IMG_7481.JPG

Cannon balls against ships were often heated red and a pad of damp clay rammed in before the ball, Having a wooden ship with *everything* tarred, a red hot cannon ball could do a lot more damage than just making a hole!  IIRC the Castillo de San Marcos in San Augustine FL still had shot ovens on display. 

Never knew that.

We received a little history while I was in Subic Bay Philippines attending Advanced Naval Gunfire school for Forward Observers.

Are these for that purpose, do you think , or for part of the casting process? 

I mean these are / were made in Ohio.

I'd have to research them again I saw that display about 45 years ago...

On museums with blacksmithing sections; my wife just gave me a copy of "Guide to Britain's Working Past"  which is a listing of small (and LARGE) museums, exhibits, collections, mine, mills, trains, steam engines, furnaces, oast houses, quarries, canals, etc and so on.  Very handy if you want to plan a trip and see some of the extant historical examples of the technology. (Ironbridge gorge and Darby's furnace remains are on the list!)

Sadly sigh inducing if a trip is probably not in your future...little things like "The cold rolling mill powered by a horizontal steam engine is impressive; but even that cannot compare with the hot rolling mill and the immense Foden Vertical Compound Engine"

I was reading in the 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue" (It's on the web!) and ran into: 

SMUG. A nick name for a blacksmith; also neat and spruce.

To knock off; to conclude: phrase borrowed from the blacksmith.

SPLIT IRON. The nick-name for a smith.

20 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I'd have to research them again I saw that display about 45 years ago...

The hot shot furnace at Castillo de San Marcos was (I believe) part of the battery built in 1842-1844. 

Here's an interesting overview of the process and its equipment (no pictures, unfortunately): http://friendsoffortmacon.org/hot-shot-furnace/

Also this, which has pictures of both the furnace at Castillo de San Marcos and the ruined furnace at Fort Morgan in Alabama:   https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/regional_review/vol2-2d.htm

Thanks for the pics Grumpy! Very informative. You have given me a few ideas for our museum and certainly some help in identifying stuff. The charts of tools, anvils, nailers, etc are very well done. I wonder if they were created by that museum or if they are commercially available.  My museum has two 'sites' - the blacksmith shop which is set up as a display of tools, forge, bellows etc and the farrier's shop where I do my demos (because there is more space for onlookers). So although we don't have things clinically set out and labelled in glass cabinets, your pictures have been a great help. Thanks.

We used to have a very good (old time dating back to the late 1800s) hardware store that used nail tongs to get the nails out of the barrels and put them into the scale pan for nails sold by the pound. They were like the cannon ball tongs only smaller. I miss that old store they had virtually everything in stock.

Got some pictures. They are 19" long. 

Pretty cool how they were made. Flat bit tong design with the "teeth/ fingers" forge welded together and on. I picked up a metal ball with them and it works but certainly seems like it would be awkward to try to load a ball into a canon with these. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Oh, and you have no idea how hard it is for me to not mess these up and separate them and add thumbs for skeletal hands but I have a deep appreciation for good antique tools so they are safe. :) Plus, I'm a blacksmith, I'll make my own for artistic purposes. ;) 

27 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

Oh, and you have no idea how hard it is for me to not mess these up and separate them and add thumbs for skeletal hands but I have a deep appreciation for good antique tools so they are safe. :) Plus, I'm a blacksmith, I'll make my own for artistic purposes. ;)

They remind me of Jack Skellingtons hands. 

Tim Burton presents "The Blacksmith."

Hah! No worries, I will. I have more ideas then time to work on them at the moment. 

I am truly interested in what these tongs actually are tho. I can't find any in reference to nail keg tongs or other searches but this reference here and one other to canon ball tongs. Yet Irondragon has seen them as nail grabbing tongs as I was told these were.