I Forge Iron

Blacksmith Museum Section

Das, and Mr. Coke, I may have to steel that Idea from ya'll if you don't mind! I had never thought of that idea to have a support come out of the pritchel hole, it is so simple.

Littleblacksmith 

Greetings LBS,

Mine is designed for the hardi hole..  Three locking points that are just bolts with shaft connectors with a drilled hole for a handle .. This allows for adjustments and other uses ..  Great tool and easy to make..  Have fun..

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

On 10/23/2017 at 5:06 AM, ausfire said:

The charts of tools, anvils, nailers, etc are very well done. I wonder if they were created by that museum or if they are commercially available.

On 10/23/2017 at 11:18 AM, ThomasPowers said:

The prints look like pages from the works of Eric Sloane; I'd suggest you get a copy of his books and talk with the owner of the copyright if you want to use them for display.

@ThomasPowers is correct: those are from Sloane's A Museum of Early American Tools, originally published by Funk and Wagnalls, reprinted by Dover.

J. Y.,

States 

"Probably still under copyright".

Much of Dover publishers books are books that no longer have copyright. They republish older books, & those that disclaimed/disavowed copy right protection. (e.g. U. S. military publications).

Copyrights have a limited duration. (lifetime). When that time runs out, the writing enters the public domain, and can be republished by others.

Check to see when the copyright starts in the particular Sloan book that you are interested in. (he wrote many books of the same subject or similar subject matter).

An out of copy right book can acquire a new copyright if the layout or organization is unique . But you can change the look & organization of the new copy right publication (e.g. type fonts, figures , or added additional data, facts etc.).

Copy right protects the form and expression of a work. It does NOT protect the novel concepts therein.

The latter is the domain of patent protection. 

I hope the above screed is clear to the readers of it.

Regards,

SLAG.

Much of Sloan's work was published and copyrighted in the mid to late 20th C.  Not expired yet?  Many of his works for sale on Amazon show renewall of CR in the 1990's.  

He was one of my main inspirations to learn both timberframing and blacksmithing.  Amazingly detailed and expressive drawings!