I Forge Iron

Stump anvil or huge hardie?

Thank you for your input everyone. Jim - this example is forged iron or steel - that is scale on the post. Given the lack of rust I don't think that it is terribly old(or it was stored in a very 'friendly' environment). Frosty - I agree with your "why" query but I do seem to see smaller hardies which are merely a square or rectangular block on a hardie stem.   

I could see that being used in the hardy hole of a very large anvil. If such a big anvil is set low for working with a striker, such a hardy block could create a small, elevated area for finer hand work -- especially if the anvil's edges are banged up and a crisper working surface is needed.

I'd suggest its a set tool for a large anvil.. With anvils of this size you sometimes need a smaller working surface and because the anvil face is so wide it isn't practical to work on a corner.. 

It's one of the main reasons I like the german double horn anvils It negates having to use a bottom set tool in the hardie hole.. 

Nearly all the stump anvils I have ever seen have either a point on the shank or a pin/slotted hole with a really long  tang.. 

Mind you with the likes of the newer wave of  videos by Brian Brazeal and Alec Steele with putting a fine taper before upsetting into the required tool in the future when these are antiques it will be hard to tell.. 

That is one of the neat things about all this stuff.. You have the normal then every once in awhile you have to ask "What"?

It has 2 sharp edges and 2 rounded edges from the looks of it.. Just like the set tool I made.. It's funny though as the set tool was one of the first haride tools I made..  It ended up with a nice flat top but the sides under the face ended up undercut due to a lack of experience.. 

There is a new twist to this discussion as revealed in the photograph below. What I thought were several hammer marks in the face which I would need to sand out turned out upon cleaning to be two graduated sets of intentionally formed geometric shapes. Both sets of three loosely resemble battle axes or garden edgers. One set of three is nearly semicircular while the other is more pointed. Presumably these are intended to impart a maker's mark or repetitive patterns which protrudes from a piece of work rather than embossed into it.  So what do you think now?

IMG_3720.JPG

It does not feel solved to me. It is still not clear to me what kind of tradesman would have used this and why he would have wanted this pattern to protrude from his work rather than be stamped into it? Could it be a silversmith's tool which has taken on the patina of a blacksmith's tool? I don't envision using this texture in my work which raises the question - sand out the embossing or preserve it as an artifact/collectible tool?

I wonder whether this might emboss the pattern in the end of silver and silver plate spoons and ladles? 

My vote would be for flatware handles.  It's a devil to try and find photos of the *backs* of older flatware but here is one which is a more modern copy of an older design and made in the 40's.  I have seen the same design in many minor variations from the"handmade" days---basically that cheshire cat smile on the underside.  

Obviously...it's still a guess.

P0000106370S0020T2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I am a flatware manufacturer of forty + years. This is a spoonmakers tiest, which would be set in a stump, and used to forge silver spoons. The crescent shapes are for swaging  the ends of the handles. This is still done the same way where I work, and at Old Newbury Crafters in Amesbury Massachusetts. Trust me on this, mystery solved!

From the shape of the crescents, this is probably a nineteenth century pre-civil war tool. After that, the hand forging of spoons in America declined, and more industrial methods were adopted.