I Forge Iron

Angle-grind my ASO 'JCB' axle without damaging heat treatment?

Charles R. Stevens, ThomasPowers,

That is what it is, I knew it reminded me of something but could not figure it out. A kango hammer insert was what I was thinking but just way bigger. The two indentations are for locking it into place. Did a search now I knew what to look for and here is the link. If links are OK? I know who cares, well I do for some reason. Maybe it make a good story in years to come. Thanks for letting me know.

David. 

https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail/rock-breaker-chisels-3529986530.html

On 8/28/2017 at 10:54 AM, ThomasPowers said:

So if you were wanting to go ask for something to make an anvil from that's hard to avoid wear and tough to avoid chipping and breaking could you get a better starter piece?

I can appreciate now that I got lucky. Also did check what they are made of. The source said usually S - 6  & S - 7 steel, but am new to this so no idea. They mentioned air hardening. Apart from that, was thinking there would have been a certain amount of cold work hardening gone into the piece as it probably had large amounts of work done with it. Tried the angle grinder on the rounded end (the used side) for a bit today and it is pretty unyielding. The other end is softer. Could be work hardening or maybe quenching or may have had a harder tip added. But again new to this. 

Cheers David. 

I don't think you'll get spanked for posting that link it's not like you're advertising. S series steels are made to take punishment and abuse, Unless I'm mistaken the S stands for "Shock". 

It'll be harder to grind till you get the grit embedded in the steel cleaned out. It won't get "easy" but will respond a little better. 

That's a beautiful field expedient anvil, it's even got a nice flat if you need one and the lock collar on the other end has some swage shapes. What it really needs is a stand that allows access to all it's features.

Excellent score. Forget the other "anvil" things. If you make a portable hole you can make whatever bottom tool you want or need.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ha yes Frosty,

Not in the steel selling business :) 

A stand like that would be great alright. Maybe some kind of pivot point, so you could turn it in one easy motion with a half way locking point. It takes me about 3 min. to put it together. Just tried it out today. Was forging on an old bolt and nut. Plan was to make a box tongs and forge weld the nut to the bolt and then draw out the nut. Did not work out with some of the rust left behind, must give the vinegar a try. Did clean it a lot though (wire brush WD40 and coconut fiber rope). Even inlaid some steel wire in the thread and managed to get the nut on. Was thinking it might weld easier, what do I know. Anyways the anvil works really well, way different to my first anvil and the stand, there was no movement what so ever for the hole time forging.

Charcold,

That was me 2 month ago as the guys from the junk yard there sold me a big blob of cast iron. An old trade weight. So even worse than the mild steel. They thought they were doing me a favor and I was happy to except. This time around I expressed myself better to what I was after and knew a little more. There were two options apart from some very long thick axles. The other was a 6 inch thick shaft of a gear and to be honest it looked to me to be even tougher. But then what decided it for me in the end was the length it being 8 inches long.

Cheers David. 

41 minutes ago, Work With Nature said:

The other was a 6 inch thick shaft of a gear and to be honest it looked to me to be even tougher. But then what decided it for me in the end was the length it being 8 inches long.

6" dia. x 8" long would still be a great NSA (Non-Standard Anvil), if your JCB part hadn't been available. Might want to go back and nab it anyway.

13 hours ago, JHCC said:

6" dia. x 8" long would still be a great NSA (Non-Standard Anvil), if your JCB part hadn't been available. Might want to go back and nab it anyway.

You know you are right, Just to say I would have been as happy with it, as with this anvil. Just the mass thing convinced me. Plus it had a 5 mil hole in the center going all the way through. Don't know if that makes it good or bad, but was not sure.