I Forge Iron

Tanto Fiction

templehound

Strongly inspired and influenced by the Japanese movie "Samurai Fiction" I didn't followed the traditions in the process of making.

Like in the movie, free style is one of the plenty ways besides tradition, that leading to the desired result.

I took clay covered 1095, copper, some unknown hardwood root, gave it the overall length of 10 inches and get this fiction of a tanto.

for those who are interested in the movie here is a trace to find, do not notice the synchronised versions, watch the original with English undertitels to get the full blast of fun....:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TknAs5CrY9s

Cheers

Ro1,k..jpg

Ro2a,k..jpg

Ro3,k..jpg

Ro4,k..jpg

Ro5a,k..jpg

Ro8a,k..jpg

Ro6,k..jpg

Ro7,k..jpg

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 3:48 AM, templehound said:

Ro8a,k..jpg

Ok, I'll show my ignorance here. Is this a take down model? Is the dark wood piece to push the handle pin or a small ceramic sharping stone. And my last stupid question. (for now) If I'm seeing this right....what is the advantage of the take down? Other than you can.   Thanks          as I've said before.....       Dave           not a knife maker

Thanks a lot for the nice comments, Guys!

Dave,.... Katanas, Wakizashis, Tantos are traditionally all take down.

The advantages are easy maintanance and repair of all parts.

The little tool is made of a bufffalo horn tip and ivory and it is to push the pin(mekugi) out of the handle.

It seemed necessary and harmonious to me in a certain way, to finish this with a traditional stand.

Cheers

RT9b,k..JPG

RT9c,k..JPG

RT9g,k..JPG

RT9h,k..JPG

RT55,k..jpg

7 hours ago, templehound said:

Dave,.... Katanas, Wakizashis, Tantos are traditionally all take down.

The advantages are easy maintanance and repair of all parts.

The little tool is made of a bufffalo horn tip and ivory and it is to push the pin(mekugi) out of the handle.

Thank You very much, I appreciate you taking the time to school me.        Dave 

16 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Nice all the way around.. How long did it take you to put the knife together including gathering all the materials?   did you use a belt grinder on the blade?

I am linguistically not sure what You mean with "gathering" in this case, if You mean having access, getting my hand on the material, then I just have to take it out of my stock...but if You mean how long it took me to decide what material to use, than the answer is, not long.

Because mostly if I have an idea for a knife, the colors are an important part of the inspiration and sometimes materials or myself are failing and than I take whatever it takes(well,abandoning the inspiration of course:D)to get the knife properly done.

It took me one year to complete.I never made a traditional Tanto and a lot of time I spend with research and educating myself in the Japanese way of Tanto making....it took me two handles, two sheaths, and a hand full of mekugi pegs  and a lot of "discipline" to finish it.

it was one of the most difficult knives I have made until today, and I once thought this is not in my abilities...several times screwing up major parts, putting them away until the frustration faded, and then made it new again and continued working on it ......that really felt like "the way is the destination".....

the blade is ground stock removal with my belt grinder.

Thanks, jlpservicesinc!

RT1,k..jpg