I Forge Iron

How many burner : 20# propane tank

blacksmith-450

Here is the inside of the tank with the app of the Kast-O-Lite. I put a thicker layer on the floor and the opposite side to the burners. I have about 2 lbs (#) of cement left, I wonder if it is wasteful to put even thicker on the floor ???

I will let it dry another day or 2 and then I cover with Metrikote.

59b003cee8b1d_propane1.thumb.jpg.b317ee329be4d94e2c10d3d70b3207d0.jpgpropane2.thumb.jpg.afdc9b1958e8b606806339d3a5c50150.jpg

3 hours ago, blacksmith-450 said:

Here is the inside of the tank with the app of the Kast-O-Lite. I put a thicker layer on the floor and the opposite side to the burners. I have about 2 lbs (#) of cement left, I wonder if it is wasteful to put even thicker on the floor ???

Circumstances alters cases. In your circumstances, I sure would. BUT, make darn sure that your burners are positioned correctly with the floor; you only get one shot at this.

3 hours ago, blacksmith-450 said:

I put a thicker layer on the floor and the opposite side to the burners. I have about 2 lbs (#) of cement left, I wonder if it is wasteful to put even thicker on the floor ???

In my limited experience, the thicker your Kastolite the longer it takes to bring your forge up to temperature.  However, once it is up to temp, the faster it will bring your stock back up to forging temperatures. It's a trade off but something to think about.  If you plan on forging for hours at a time then thicker may be better, but if you like to work for short periods of time you may not want the increased startup time.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:34 AM, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

Pretty sure you will want to fire up the forge to cure the Kast-O-Lite prior to the Metrikote

I second that. There's a LOT of water in that kastolite. I've had it puddling out onto the floor while I was firing it to cure. Funny thing was, it didn't start dripping onto the floor til the interior hit 700-800F.

Currently I run 2-3 projects at the same time, it leaves time for the Kast-O-Lite to dry. It's pretty hard BTW ! :)

My plan is to put 2-3 heated blocks, then one put a burner on low and another fire goes high.

After I will put the IR paint.

I drilled 2 holes under the tank to let out the moisture. If I see bubbles forming, I will stop the process, break them and then start again with touch-up, cure, dry, heat..etc...

• 4 weeks later...

Superb flames. Actually, there is way more heat than you will need once the forge ends are installed. You will end up running your burners with about one-third of that pressure, most of the time. Please try moving the angle of your burners closer to vertical before committing to a position. Your flames should impinge on the right-hand side of your floor. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...