I Forge Iron

Interesting milestone

JHCC

Just realized that I passed an interesting milestone a couple of weeks ago: I now have more tongs that I made myself than tongs that I purchased. Six of one, not quite half-a-dozen of the other.

IMG_3358.JPG

(Not to say that the ones I made are particularly good, mind you. Still solidly on that particular learning curve.)

That's an area I can still improve on as well but they come out functional. I still tend to aquire them here and there tho so I'm still outnumbered to the ones I have made.

Just yesterday my friend and I stopped by the ReStore after eating lunch and while I was digging through some upper boxes filling my hands with rusty gold for scrap sculptures he was looking on a lower shelf and found a nice pair of flat jaw tongs. I was a little jealous lol. Cost him around a buck too. 

Code enforcement can go powermad.   I had one hassling me about my front porch which I was restoring to how it looked 80 years ago; but he couldn't cite the code so I could figure a way to meet it and retain the original appearance. (I offered to regrade my yard so the porch wasn't as "high").  When he couldn't tell me the height that would pass with the original railing; I ignored him and we moved several years later with the original railing and yard in place...

Well it's a long story but there is a neighbor making a lot of enemies with people in the neighborhood and is constantly complaining to the code enforcer. I'm mostly collateral damage. Most of what I have is pretty neat and I have been organizing. Think they are on about the pallets or something. I'll find out Monday at the hearing. And I'll get the rest of the pallets and get pictures of the property to show them. 

I had a pesky neighbor once---kept calling the Fire Department on me; however by sheer luck it was always when I was using my smoker and not my forge and the city code *ALLOWED* cooking!  Well after about the 4 time that ladder truck wedged itself down the 100 year old alleyway, (I lived in an old part of the city), only to find me making dinner. The calls stopped, they wouldn't tell me who; but I hear under the table that they were told there would be a US$1000+ fine for false alarms next time... Last time I owned a house in the city!

I'm pretty much out in the country. We know who the troublemaker is. Known crazy and is home almost 24/7. I'm glad I'm not the guy across the road from him. I am the next house down the road and thankfully there is a small forest strip between us. He films his neighbor across the street all the time. Many other things too. I'm thinking in time he will burn himself out. 

Well, back to cleaning my "excessive debris" 

I'll bet if everybody in the neighborhood puts him under surveillance it will, if nothing else, push him into making the authorities deal with him. Agencies do NOT like being used as a weapon. I don't know about your area but here the fines and penalties for abuse of process usually start around $500 and that's animal control. You do NOT want to call in a false alarm to ANY emergency service and you'd better pray nobody dies while EMS is answering your call. 

Abuse of process can be a felony and is at minimum a misdemeanor. Jail time isn't uncommon.

Does he have a favorite complaint? Real life Trolls usually set themselves up if they're annoying enough folk have to do something.

Frosty The Lucky.

One of my neighbors tells me that she loves when I forge because the sound of the anvil is relaxing (my anvil is pretty darn quiet).  I currently have no creepy neighbor issues.  I think I just jinxed myself....

However, I do have an issue related to John's original post.  I'm currently torn between making my own tongs for all the things I'd like to do OR buying some tongs as payment for the education I've received from some people online.  There are a few people I feel I owe for the free education I've received and I think that a $35 pair of tongs is the least I should do.  Deep down, though, I'd like to reach the same milestone.

11 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

If he's always filming some of the peeping tom statutes may apply...

The neighbor being filmed has been to the police about it and has even taken him to court for harassment. Their reply about the filming was that as long as he is on his own property he is not breaking any law. But the bad neighbor Is burning any credit with authorities as far as accusations. Like I said he will burn himself out.  I have seen the guy filming many times while driving past.  Maybe I should stop and get some pictures of him filming lol. So glad for that patch of trees between us. 

Lou, why not both. If you want to make tongs go for it. It is really rewarding using tongs you made yourself. And purchasing them if you want is fine as well. I'm sure most people who share their knowledge, it would be thanks enough seeing that you used it and built the skills further. 

Sounds like the bad neighbor is setting himself up for an abuse of process law suit. He doesn't have to be breaking a law to get sued. Maybe the abused neighbors will chip in so one person doesn't have to foot the entire bill. Once his behavior starts coming out of his pocket he'll quit. He MUST fight the suit or lose by default, it'll cost him regardless.

Frosty The Lucky.

Well my hearing is Monday am. Cross your fingers for me that I don't lose a thousand bucks to this. I'll get talking with the other good neighbors about some ideas after that. With this guys fragile temper and psychotic behavior and a video camera, I'm sure we can expose this guys behavior more to the township without even being amoral. 

JHCC, sorry to have seemingly hijacked your post. 

Every one in the neighbor hood taking gues filming him (and the resulting confertations) as well as laying bated  traps and filming the resulting trespass should work.

I jacked up a zoning inspector for criminal  trespas and b&e back in AZ, along with the police chief for refiusing to file a report on a felony. Things got interesting when I called the Sherif's office...

i also jacked up a neighbor for putting out antifreeze for cats after he called zoning in me as well. 

Most of the non internet trolls are dirty little excreatment piles, and fare from sinless 

5 minutes ago, JHCC said:

"Seemingly"?

;) 

Thomas started it... 

:) 

Charles, neighbor across the street from him only has a flip phone but I agree with what you say. The guys son was over one day when there was a confrontation and did get it on video. So there is one. That was used in the harassment case. 

From what I have heard he is just that and when my case is done its on. This guy shouldn't even be outside of a padded room. Another idea was to get together with other neighbors who have had altercations with him but have remained silent and get their stories written down so when we go to the township meeting we can put those on record as well as our own. 

I have to be careful about when I chose to get of the porch, I tend to go all scorched earth. I am on good terms with all but one of my neighbors, and she has been scared strait. Called the sherif that my horse were out, after she opened the gates. You can imagine how that went. 

As to the tools, I still have a list of ones I need to forge. 

Not after the responding deputy informed her that if she Called again he was charging her with false reporting, felony trespass and domestic terrorism ( I train horses and have a farm tax # for chickens and goats). She is now similar friendly, and I know live two blocks west on said property wit a dog with a rep for biting trespassers. I know the liability issue, but when they are informed that when they tell the judge they got bit, I will press chargues and use their testomany as evidence they usualy back down. In OK it is a felony to trespass on a horse training facility, no signage or warning necessary.

I have been forced to shoot a few dogs myself, as the law is kinda touch about shooting the owners.

Charles,

I strongly suggest that you still post a dog warning sign even if it is not required by Oklahoma law. Such signage gives you one more layer of legal defense.

It also displays that you have the dog's possible behavior, in mind, and have paid attention to possible harm to trespassers.

Also, the Ok. law may be brushed aside if a child somehow gets onto your property & suffers some injury. (this idea is not idle speculation. I have studied actual, similar cases that occurred in other states and common law jurisdictions).

That occurred while I was at law school and also while studying for the bar of Ontario, Canada. and New York State, U.S.

Regards, & good health for You and Sandy,

SLAG.

Oh NO! Posting a dog warning might seem like you're protected but in fact the opposite is the case. Posting a dog warning means you have prior knowledge your dog was dangerous. 

I've heard this too many times, both from people who have been sued and twice from lawyer acquaintances. One of the feed stores we used to patronize warned people buying beware of dog signs that they made the dog owner liable for any injuries caused by the dog. Even if a person trips walking on the lawn they can claim they thought the dangerous dog was going to bite them.

Keep out! Private property violators will be prosecuted. Shot on sight, etc. Won't make it worse for you. A secure fence and a really unfriendly dog is good, let the bad guys figure it out. 

Frosty The Lucky.