I Forge Iron

Nydam, Illerup Adal, Vimose....

• 2 weeks later...

How has this not been commented on yet?!

I'm a little dumbfounded to be honest. They're all really nice, especially considering the exclusitivity of being hammered only. 

I REALLY like the 6th one from the left, the longest one. Looks like it would fit perfectly on a 2 meter long pole as a Pike. 

Sockets have been the bane of my blacksmithing journey so far, so I commend your ability to make them. 

Great work. 

Thank You guys!
This longest, Celtic is 67 cm.
Last weekend I was at the ancient "Dymarki Świętokrzyskie".
The event concerned the object of iron and steel industry in the early centuries of our era.
It is mainly about reconstruction of the process.
Spin the charcoal spears in the simplest furnace they could use in those times blacksmiths.
Here are some photos ..

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thrall was kind of a weird blend of slave, serf, and servant.  They were owned, but had a lot of rights. On the other hand, it was no big deal to abuse or even kill one as long as you paid the blood price, which I forget the name for.  They could be freed, but once freed, still didn't have the same rights as a freeman, or carl. A lot of them started as freemen that gambled their way into servitude. A lot of Vikings would bet anything they owned, including spouses and even themselves if they lost everything else.

Love the long sockets too. I don't know that he used tooling to get the "third edge."  There used to be a video of Thijs de Mannaker making a spear where he got a similar effect using the edge of the anvil to draw stock sideways and leave the middle ridge.

When I was studying Athenian legal orations, one of the interesting details that came up was that under Athenian law, it was crucial to determine who bore the blood-guilt in any unnatural death. One set of orations (probably a rhetorical school exercise rather than from an actual case) concerned the death of a boy in a gymnasium who had been struck and killed by a thrown javelin, and the various orations made the case for the possible guilt of A: the boy who threw the javelin (for not paying attention downrange), B: the boy who was struck by the javelin (for running across the javelin range during training), C: the javelin instructor (for instructing the boy who was struck to go fetch a stray javelin, thus putting him in harm's way), D: the head of the gymnasium (for not paying proper attention to how the place was operating; what we would call these days "creating an unsafe environment"), or even E: the javelin itself (for not flying true). My professor pointed out that even in a case of accidental death caused by a piece of masonry falling from a building, the offending rock would be ritually condemned, taken to the border, and "exiled" with a hefty throw.

• 2 years later...

Germanic spears based on the Vimose finds. The longest with an octagonal sleeve is 48.5 cm and weighs 330 grams. The other two have rounded sleeves, 39.5 cm and 38.5 cm long, and each brew 300 grams. The knife is a Germanic standard with a Vimose pattern from a single-edged sword. Blade 19 cm long, whole knife 30 cm.

1111111111111.jpg

2222222222222222.jpg

333333333333333.jpg

It's good to see you post again Ibor! I miss seeing examples of your work, it's not only very well done it's a good recreation of weapons from the period. 

What do you think spear points like this would be used for? I don't know how prosperous the area was at the time and my default guess, not knowing better is they're general use spears. Hunting  mostly but sticking the enemy is necessary. 

The knife is beautiful as always. Better still it gives me things to search online and read about, it's a win win.

Thank you.

Frosty The Lucky.

Seeing spears with a long "neck" and small head always makes me wonder how much "cross pollination" there may have been with the Roman Pilum. Especially as they use a considerable amount of relatively expensive iron.    I hear there are some misplaced Eagles still out there!

Frosty and Thomas:  There are Roman weapons deposited in Vimose Bog in Denmark, including some with Roman workshop stamps.  Also, there is a gilded bronze Roman griffin which was found in 1849 by peat cutters.  The workers said that it had been on a pole with a red and blue flag but the wood and fabric disintegrated when touched.  Put your own level of credibility on the last statement.

So, the long spear point may have actually been Roman pila.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."