I Forge Iron

Prefered Leg Angle for Steel Tripod Anvil Stands

Prefered Leg Angle for Steel Tripod Anvil Stands  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Prefered Leg Angle for Steel Tripod Anvil Stands?

2. 2. Are you more concerned about Rigidity, Durability, Stability, or Tripping?

• Rigidty, I don't want my stand to flex while forging
    • Durabilty, I don't want my welds to break
    • Stability, I don't want my anvil to tip over
    • Functionality, I don't want legs sticking out too far for me to trip over

4 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Why must all the legs be at the same angle?  Steeper on the side the smith works on and shallower on the off side!

I considered that when I was designing my stand, and I'm glad I went with identical angles all the way around. It made it a lot easier when I shifted from horn-on-the-left to horn-on-the-right. 

Welding any project together is usually done with tack welds until you get parts into position. Why not choose an option and make several tack welds attaching the legs to the stand? Flip it over and use it a while. If you want to change to a different leg angle, then break and gring off the welds and weld the legs on at a different angle. When you find the angle you want, make structural and full penetration welds,

No one ever said what works for one smith will work for every other smith. Make it comfortable for YOU, the way YOU forge, at YOUR location.

Rigidty, I don't want my stand to flex while forging. This relates to your design and construction of the stand. 

Durability, I don't want my welds to break. This relates to your welding ability. Use structural and full penetration welds.

Stability, I don't want my anvil to tip over. This relates to your design and is safety concern if the design is not done correctly.

2" x 4" scd. 40 rectangular tubing. No idea what angle they are, less than 22 for sure but they're positioned right at the edges of the anvil foot and extend out a bit wider. 

Who's idea were questions 2&3? Who doesn't care if the welds break or the anvil falls over? :huh: Do you clean up oil spills in the shop or put out fires under the bench?

I here by throw a stinky cyber sock at you for asking silly questions and NOT making a joke! :angry:

Frosty The Lucky.