I Forge Iron

Civil War era blacksmith wagon

Your still young, you have plenty of time to make corrections ;-) 

i just appreciate your knowledge and willingness to share. I did find it was interesting to see that the air was roughted into a chamber behind the fire back. Cooling the fire back and preheating the incoming air. See I have paid attention to your posts over the years! Lol

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't feel young.  I'm always happy to help anyone that I can, especially anyone working on gear for historical presentations.  As for some corrections, such as casting the brass parts for the pipe and joint is likely to be forever beyond my ability and reach.  Having already spent 11 years researching, and four years working at building it averaging 2 hours, 7 days a week, that comes to around three thousand hours of of physical labor.  Beyond doing some repairs, rewiring the trailer that hauls it, and a box to support the anvil, that is pretty much my limit of what I can realistically invest in the project.   My advice to someone wanting to build one is to purchase the wheels, as that would save them at least 1/4th, or more, of the labor hours.  

• 2 years later...

I am looking to make an actual traveling / Battery forge for my antebellum and civil war living history events. I need a basic set of plans to get started. I can normally construct items with the knowledge of what size they are and material used. I would love an actual link to the original plans from the 1850-1860 era. 
I am not wanting to make a dollar with this I want to demonstrate how it works and actually construct small items for fellow living historians or to give to those watching the work. 
again I do not want to make money with this so I would rather spend the money on construction and operation than on plans. 
if anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated and I will make sure to mention you in my demos if that is what you want. 
thank you again. Sorry to resurrect an old thread

Happy Easter

2 hours ago, Reb_Cav said:

I am looking to make an actual traveling / Battery forge ...... spend the money on construction and operation than on plans. 

Antique Ordnance Publishers …. publish reproductions of measured drawings that were provided to manufacturers in the mid-1800s to manufacture Traveling Forges, cannon carriages, and other carriages for the U.S. Army

http://gunneyg.info/html/AOPCatalog.htm

You are very welcome.  Unfortunately, I have never seen a copy of the full plans, for free, on the Internet.  The first step in building an authentic Traveling Forge is to spend a few bucks on a paper copy of the plans.  That way you can review the blueprints(actually in black ink on white paper) and I can try to answer your questions on the diagrams.  

Will you be using real wrought iron as was done during that period?   I once found the actual anvil and the stand it fits into for travelling that goes with a ACW travelling forge at a antique store in El Paso.   Got it and passed it on to David.  (David; you tried using it any?)

It is a wonderful anvil, thank you.  Actually, that small anvil is for the small "Portable Forge" that accompanied the "Mountain Howitzer", and rode on a horse pack.  A 100 lb anvil was designated by the army for the Traveling Forge, and rode in the fireplace of the Traveling Forge when in motion.  

I was planning on taking the anvil to an event in May, but the event was cancelled.

Thank you again. 

• 1 year later...

Thank you David for all the research and work with the Civil War Traveling Forge! Saves us all time and research! 
 I pm’d you yesterday (being new to the forum) and told you a little about myself...

I have a side business in welding & fabrication work and am recently (2019) started merging blacksmithing with the business.

My son (11) is homeschooled and really loves the civil war history! (Many vacations to Gettysburg Battlefield)

A couple of months ago, he had the opportunity to enlist with the 110th Pa. Infantry as a flag bearer and Lt.’s aid.

We attended our first re-enactments at Zoar Oh. with 40th P.V. 
He loved it (so did I)

to make along story-short, I talked with some folks who knew about your forge and said, “you would be able to guide me in the ‘right’ direction!”

I’m going to purchase your book and Karl Orndorff’s, Blacksmith’s Traveling Forge History and Specifications!

I have seen another civil war blacksmith’s video that used a limber for all the tools the blacksmith/farrier would carry in conjunction with the traveling forge? Is this mostly the case?
Just asking? Like I said, this is all new to me!

I believed I also asked you in the pm, “Were all the blacksmiths for the Armies in the civil war,  enlisted? If so, did they mostly wear uniforms/hats with their forging aprons?
Or wear traditional blacksmith/farrier clothing of the time period?

Thanks so much for all you do and have done for the trade!

Sola Fide,

Mick

On 9/26/2021 at 8:46 AM, MickKrug said:

Karl is a nice guy, but the only information that is accurate in his book is the information that his niece harvested from information that I posted to the Internet.  Just about everything else he says in his book is nonsense.

>>>I’m going to purchase your book and Karl Orndorff’s, Blacksmith’s Traveling Forge ....

Karl is a nice guy, but the only information that is accurate in his book is the information that his niece harvested from information that I posted to the Internet.  Just about everything else he says in his book is nonsense. For example, he says that tow trucks and military ships are Traveling Forges.  I extremely regret helping him with publishing his book.  He is spreading false history. 

>>> ...... used a limber for all the tools the blacksmith/farrier would carry in conjunction >>>the traveling forge? Is this mostly the case?
Each Traveling Forge was accompanied by a "Battery Wagon" containing tools,, Ordnance Manual or the Appendix of my book. 

>>>>“Were all the blacksmiths for the Armies in the civil war,  enlisted?

Yes all were enlisted and paid at the same rate as a corporal.  Karl made up civilian blacksmiths to justify his building a monstrosity of a "civilian traveling forge" 

>>> If so, did they mostly wear uniforms/hats with their forging aprons?
>>>>Or wear traditional blacksmith/farrier clothing of the time period?

the period photos tend to show them mostly bareheaded, one shows an ethnic hat that no one that I have asked can identify. They wore either French cut shirts, or older work shirts.  French cut shirts were too confining for someone working.. See photos by googling Civil war Blacksmiths or photo in my book.

LOL... Thanks for the info on Karl's Book....

Looks like I'll just be purchasing your book! LOL   I may have asked before, but was there a difference in the Infantry wheeled traveling forge and the Artillery's? I can wait on your book to find out, but you know how curiosity gets the best of ya! ;-) 

Thanks again!

I doubt that Civil War Infantry regiments had an assigned forge as part of their equipment, the cavalry did and the artillery (1 forge wagon/battery) but not the foot sloggers.  They just didn't have enough metal equipment to need a forge and blacksmith to repair it regularly.  Also, I suspect the Engineer outfits probably also had assigned black smiths and forges.  Most of what was happening in the cavalry regiments was farrier work while the artillery had gun and vehicle repairs along with the horse related jobs.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."

Forge B - Park Service served mostly cavalry and infantry horses and mules and carriages. Pretty much anybody with a horse or mule that needed shoes. The tools and the accompanying Battery Wagon that accompanied Forge B, was set up for more general use and didn't have the same stuff as the supplies for the Forge A.  (see the appendix in my book, or one of the Ordnance Manuals).   Remember a Battery Wagon accompanied, and belonged to the smiths at,  each and every Traveling Forge, and was outfitted with tools and spare parts for the role that it played,,,, see any edition of the  "Ordnance Manual for use of....".