I Forge Iron

A Day With a Radio Broadcaster -Pic Heavy, Very Heavy

He and his daughter came over today, she and I made a leaf key chain, and a leaf coat hook that actually turned out quite well. She wasn't bad at all, just wasn't hitting very hard. But I guess that's better than swinging really hard and missing a lot. He asked me if I wanted to be in a local magazine, and of course I said yes, but before they publish the article I have to make an online store, which  isn't bad because I was already planning on it. He also gave me 6 movie passes, and a $50 gift card to Ruby's BBQ. And In the future I am giving his daughter a class where we make some BBQ tools. Fun stuff.

Littleblacksmith

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great story, and bounus points for both good marketing AND introducing folks first hand to blacksithing!

LB, if I recall you are a follower of the Brian B heavy hammer way of forging?  Please excuse me if I'm incorrect.  But you may want to think about having a lighter hammer (1.5 to 2 pounds) around to give to absolute beginners and those of lighter stature.  I'm not trying to be down on that style, it's a great way for many people to forge.  Just saying one size does not fit all.  If she wasn't hitting hard with a big hammer moving slow, try a light hammer moving fast, and vice versa.  Of course practice practice practice makes any hammer work well, but I've found that beginners get less frustrated when their arms are not tired.  

Yes sir. You know, you made me just feel really kinda dumb.:D I didn't even think about offering a smaller hammer. I purty much have a hammer of any weight from 6oz to 16lbs, so that's not an issue. Darn me. You know, I would recommend someone to a smaller hammer, but here I am having someone use a hammer too big for them. I mean, she was striking two handed with a 3.5lb hammer, I guess I wasn't thinking that it would be too heavy, but just that she was scared to hit it harder. Thank you for having to state the obvious, as to a glazed over mind who isn't used to teaching people, and only working on your own, it sometimes isn't as obvious. Talk about embarrassing though.

Littleblacksmith

Maybe you just had a bad student.;)

I am all right at explaining stuff, in person, showing them, but putting it in words is difficult sometimes.

Littleblacksmith

Right. I'll try her on a short handled 3lb, then go down from there if need be. She wasn't hitting light, I mean you wouldnt want to put your hand underneath it, just wasn't hitting hard as she should have.

Littleblacksmith 

On 6/26/2017 at 6:44 PM, littleblacksmith said:

.....He also gave me 6 movie passes, and a $50 gift card to Ruby's BBQ. And In the future I am giving his daughter a class where we make some BBQ tools. Fun stuff.

Littleblacksmith

You lucky guy!  Great BBQ (make that "Rudy's" BBQ).  Extra moist my choice.  My all time favorite, then comes, Black's, Kreutz', Smitty's....ate at them every chance I got when we lived in TX.

wow, I live and Texas and just misspelled Rudy's....

do they not have Rudy's in Arkansas? I mean, ya'll can be weird, but come on, you got to have a BBQ place in every town.:)

We don't go to Rudy's much, but there is a local barbeque "Martins place" and it is the best. Then we also go to CJ's BBQ its good. Or we just make our own!:D

Littleblacksmith

First, a lot of folks in Arkansas can be weird, but...... we're adapting, LOL.  They think Texans are weird, too.

As for BBQ, Texas-style is HARD to find up here.  Lots of imitations.  Pulled pork is popular, but I'm not a fan of that stuff.  Some of it I wouldn't even feed back to a pig!  Gimme good old mesquite, pecan or oak smoked meat.  The only one we have found that comes close is Rib Crib, hate to admit that.  Yeah, it's a chain, but so is Rudy's now.  Rib Crib's ribs are great, brisket varies.  I probably have now started a BBQ war on IFI.....:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, arkie said:

First, a lot of folks in Arkansas can be weird, but...... we're adapting, LOL

:lol:

I'm not even a big fan of Texas pulled pork even, so I see where youse a coming from.

a friend of mine went up north and informed me that there sweet tea wasn't that good. I first told them that I was surprised they even had it up there, and that no joke its not going to be as good!

Littleblacksmith

1 hour ago, littleblacksmith said:

a friend of mine went up north and informed me that there sweet tea wasn't that good. I first told them that I was surprised they even had it up there, and that no joke its not going to be as good!

I myself am a heavy sweet tea drinker and nothing up here is quite as good as the tea down in Texas, but Red Diamond sweet will have to hold me over until I can buy myself a nice ice tea brewer. 

I was taught never to bring up religion or politics in public, and good 'que is both in the Carolinas, ya hea'? But y'all started it.

ThomasP, would that be 'Western NC' (Lexington) style chopped pork shoulder with tangy tomato/vinegar sauce, Eastern (Coastal Plains) style chopped whole hog with a spicy hot pepper/black pepper vinegar sauce, or SC style with a mustard based sauce? The appropriate sauced slaw on top if made into a sandwich, of course!

After the new Interstate made it possible to bypass central Columbia, SC, my wife and I would still go miles out of our way to go by the original Maurice's Piggy Park to pick up a couple of pounds to go in the cooler, and some fresh fried squash, fried okra, and hush puppies with our sandwiches. Sadly, it is now but a shadow of its' former glory.

(Clears throat.) And if it ain't pig, it ain't 'que. (Drops mic.)

I've has some nice BBQ'd rattlesnake way back when I was working in the Oilpatch in SE Texas; some cajuns were cooking it when we were coming off our tour and invited me to eat, (I think they were trying to put me off my stride, foolish foolish lads---I like durian after all!).  Any way I had been gifted with a tad of shine and we had a very nice meal before heading to our bunks.  I never had to worry about "a roughneck with a hose" after that. (One of the top things I learned getting my Geology degree was a prof that told us "Never turn your back on a roughneck with a hose!")

Oh boy! I'll agree with you John - Carolina has some good BBQ. At least North Carolina. Nothing like a pulled pork sandwich with Eastern vinegar sauce and cole slaw on it. Don't know about that South Carolina stuff though - what's with the mustard sauce?! And a good Texas brisket - oh boy! Or Kansas City ribs. Oh I'm gettin' hungry.

But then being up here in the Pacific Northwest - we are a bit  "Q"less. LOL

I like the Carolina wet stuff; I just don't consider it BBQ! We used to go to 3 Little pigs BBQ in McLean VA back in the 1960's for the wet stuff. I got to go back 30 years later and they were still in business!  (unfortunately they stopped soon afterwards; but at least I had a taste of my youth that business trip...)

12 minutes ago, JHCC said:

One of the nice things about being a Northerner is that you can partake of and appreciate all kinds of barbecue without taking personally what is or isn't.

Good point JHCC! I've heard some people can get touchy about their BBQ, grits and hush puppies too. But to me if it's done right, it's all good - after all, it's BBQ. And nothin' better than good BBQ.

19 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I like the Carolina wet stuff; I just don't consider it BBQ!

nicely put.

10 minutes ago, John in Oly, WA said:

But to me if it's done right, it's all good

I'm with you on that, it just seems that some areas overall have better bbq than others..... :P       

Littleblacksmith                                                                                                                   

If you do come here, be sure to drop by here!

I can ship you some BBQ.

Littleblacksmith