I Forge Iron

A Day With a Radio Broadcaster -Pic Heavy, Very Heavy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, John in Oly, WA said:

Thanks for the invite LBS, if I get down that way, I'll definitely stop by.

Tempted by your offer to ship Q. What would that involve - cost, type of Q?

I can do it for free, though I will have to see what shipping is, if it is outrages, than we can split it. Does anybody know how you even ship BBQ??? You choose what cut you want, and where you want it from.

"you may be a Texan if you send people BBQ!"

Littleblacksmith

Shipping food is actually pretty easy... I'm from texas and have family down there that ships me kolaches, fresh h-e-b tortillas, hot sauce, and occasionally Whataburger(plain, otherwise it gets soggy).... chapel hill sausage and other frozen meats too. 

Cheap $10 plastic cooler (small), wrap food in tin foil (for warm stuff), frozen stuff just fill cooler, add a couple frozen 16oz water bottles, tape it up tight, put it in a box and spend $40 to fed ex or ups overnight it. You can also check with your local pharmacy or feed store for styrofoam coolers/boxes that some medicine is shipped in. Most of the time they still have the freezer packs still in them and give them away so they don't have to crush them.

Sometimes it is well worth the price of admission for a good taste of home. 

I bootleg food back everytime I am back home. I take an extra suitcase and fill it with food to put on the plane. My recent easter trip, I brought back 2 doz kolaches in a small cooler and they were still warm after a 6 hr airport/plane expedition.

If you have room in the packaging and access to it, dry ice is best.  Some shippers want you to label the box as containing dry ice...all this security stuff nowadays.  Glad you are able to get your "Texas food fix" often!!  I miss that a lot as well.  We used to make trips back there a lot and stock up, but no more.  Relatives are all out of state now.

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:49 AM, ThomasPowers said:

I've has some nice BBQ'd rattlesnake way back when I was working in the Oilpatch in SE Texas; some cajuns were cooking it when we were coming off our tour and invited me to eat, (I think they were trying to put me off my stride, foolish foolish lads---I like durian after all!)

Andrew Zimmern is so wrong. Durian is amazing. And so so much better than the frozen mush we deal with stateside. Spent three weeks in Thailand this summer and stayed at my wife's home in Takhian Ram up in  Si Sa Ket province northeast Thailand living Thai. No running water but the food, oh my the food.  And found some beautifully crafted tools there just couldn't catch up with the smith.