I Forge Iron

A Day With a Radio Broadcaster -Pic Heavy, Very Heavy

About a week ago I met a broad caster from one of my favorite stations, and we got to talking, and after a while I started talking about my blacksmithing, and of course, he has always wanted to make a knife, so I gave him my card, not thinking he would really follow through. A few days ago he emailed me and asked when he and his girlfriend could come over, and they came over today. He wanted to forge a knife, and his girlfriend had brought some rasps that he wanted to make one out of, and gave me a couple extra ones too. I started out making a knot, just something to do while we talked, and give them a small intro. After that we tossed a rasp in the fire, and got to heatin and beatin. His girlfriend helped some, but it was mainly him and me. I had him strike for me, as it was better than him trying to use a hand hammer, but let him help, and let me direct where the blow would go. we roughly forged out the profile, heated it up, and let it normalize. While it was cooling, me and his girlfriend forged her a horsehead bottle opener. as soon as the blade cooled, we got to grinding. this part was a little more boring, but with company it sped it up, and made it more enjoyable. He did most of the grinding, with me just telling him what to do, and what not to do. He was O.K with the grinder I guess. We drilled the pin holes, and heat treated the blade, with no warps or cracks, which was a relief. they had to leave after that, but that was about 10am-3pm.

Oh, and he said that in return I can come down to the radio station, and look at it all, and go on air! Lots of fun it sounds like.

they took a lot of pictures, so her they are. It was fun, he will be back 2 more times to finish the knife, so will update ya'll when hat happens.

hope this isn't too many pics for ya'll! hahaha

Image may contain: 1 person, shoes, outdoor and food

Image may contain: outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people and food

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, hat and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoor

IMG_6547[1].JPG

IMG_6548[1].JPG

IMG_6549[1].JPG

IMG_6550[1].JPG

IMG_6551[1].JPG

IMG_6552[1].JPG

IMG_6553[1].JPG

IMG_6554[1].JPG

IMG_6555[1].JPG

IMG_6557[1].JPG

IMG_6558[1].JPG

IMG_6559[1].JPG

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you arkie. I'll use 'em. There are a few that still need seasoning, but I use them when I'm doing open fire cooking, and they look good up on the wall! most of them I got at the scrap yard, that's not even all my cast iron though!

Littleblacksmith

Here is some pics of them.

IMG_6567[1].JPG

IMG_6568[1].JPG

hahaha! you know how fun it would be though if all of us on here got together. it would be really cool. Hey, if all of ya'll come over here, I don't mind cooking some bacon and eggs!

Littleblacksmith

no garunties! though bacon and eggs ain't too hard. I cooked a lot of bacon, but not much eggs.

Littleblacksmith

13 minutes ago, Tubalcain2 said:

Gotta love the way that gal is handling that hammer. Classic "I've-never-used-a-hammer-in-my-life,-this-thing-is-way-heavier-than-i-thought-it-would-be"  stance. ;) The end product looks pretty good, though.

yup! that was even after telling  and showing her how to hold it, and asking if she wanted a smaller hammer. oh well. Yeah, she only really forged down the neck of the opener, punched and drifted the hole, and hit the punches for the eye, mouth etc..

Littleblacksmith

hey man, forged nails are as fancy as I get, and I don't want to have to make that many hooks, just for me! if it was for someone else who was paying me to, I would. Oh I love having people at my forge, it is much more enjoyable, and is always fun. PR?? what's that?

Littleblacksmith

Don't you love seeing cast iron at the fleamarket where they want US$20 for a pan and then finding *better* ones at the scrapyard for 20 cents a pound? (Modern cast iron may be twice as heavy as old cast iron was.)

Do you use the burn off method or the lye bath method for cleaning old cast iron down for re-seasoning?

Yup! even worse is the ones at antique stores! I have passed up a few pans at the scrap yard, all of which I regret, but I already had a couple of the same size at home.

I have never tried the burn off method before, Isn't that the one where you stick it in a bonfire to burn off the grease? lots of the time a wire wheel on the angle grinder gets it down to bare metal, though I have soaked a few in Vinegar, and had decent success.

Littleblacksmith

Yup the burn off is the old method and it works but some pans will warp---uggg

I recently learned of the lye method and found a hardware stores that still sold lye.  You need to know how to handle it safely but a totally crudded up pan soaked in the lye bucket for a week will scrub clean under a hose in no time at all!  It doesn't hurt the metal so you can stick it back in if you find a particularly hard spot to clean.  Read about it on the internet for specifics. AND DON'T FORGET THE PPE!

I once went to the scrap yard and found a couple of bean pots, a ribbed bottom skillet for cooking bacon and a high walled skillet for frying chicken.  I snatched them up and am now feeding my kids' kitchens and camp cooking setups with cast iron.  I'll continue to hunt as I have 8 grandkids (so far) that i want to gift sets too.

I'm also hunting for one that has the spider trademark on the bottom to give to my wife the spinster!

I will have to try that.

12 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I once went to the scrap yard and found a couple of bean pots,

there was a bean pot that I had see at the scrap yard, a really nice one, that looked like the last time it was used was yesterday, it was perfect. I saw it about 10 yards away, and a fork lift was going in the same direction, so me not wanting to get ran over, gave him some space, and watched as he ran over the pot. Very sad, I still haven't found another one. That same time I had found a high walled skillet, which I really like the look of, and didn't and still don't have one, it turned out it had a hole in the bottom of it. again, very sad. I wish I was one of your grandkids!

Littleblacksmith

YYYYEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!! Or too many of one type!!!

Littleblacksmith

Just counted and I have 11 pieces of cast iron + a cast iron lid within arm's reach of my propane kitchen range (plus two more in the pantry closet.)  I have a son in law that is slowly regressing into the 19th century so I'm doing my best to encourage him!

Recently I found a BIG graniteware "cowboy" coffee pot---holds a gallon---at the fleamarket for under $10---needs a new bail---if only I knew someone who could manipulate metal---bwahahahahahahahaha!

2 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

Yeah, she only really forged down the neck of the opener, punched and drifted the hole, and hit the punches for the eye, mouth etc..

Littleblacksmith

i'm not sure i'd be brave enough to hold a punch for someone using a hammer like that.:wacko:

14 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

hey man, forged nails are as fancy as I get, and I don't want to have to make that many hooks, just for me! if it was for someone else who was paying me to, I would. Oh I love having people at my forge, it is much more enjoyable, and is always fun. PR?? what's that?

Littleblacksmith

PR = public relations...radio folks

yeah, I held the punch in a pair of tongs.

Thank you Gergely! they weren't that bad though!

yes, lots of fun!

Thank you Arkie for explaining.

Here is a neat video she took while they were here. My anvil was moved out of place because he was grinding by the vice, and I had to move it out of the way.

Littleblacksmith

https://www.facebook.com/AviatorAlligator/videos/10154749320328379/

10154749320328379.htm

Greetings LBS /Mark.. 

I've read a lot of your post and offered advice , some  I'm sure is unwanted.  I'm proud of your skills and enthusiasm about blacksmithing. I wish you lived a little closer because we share many interest. I too teach survival and cast iron cooking along with blacksmithing. Some pictures of my outdoor kitchen and cooking stations for Dutch ovens.. Keep up the great work..!

Love the cat iron cookware.

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

IMG_0034.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

Thank you! Man, if only we were closer. That is a nice kitchen! I have seen the lid lifters you made, they are so functional it makes them a work of art. If you ever come down my way, you know where I'm at! That's to all of y'all!

Littleblacksmith