I Forge Iron

Help identifying some steel

In the scrap pile at the family farm I have found a number of these (see attached picture). By my research, they are double eye guy line anchor rods used to stabilize utility poles. They are obviously galvanize. I am unable to identify any manufacturer. But the comparable one that i have found online state that they are high tensil strength steel. I have not had time to strip one and do a spark test yet. My question is has anyone else ever forged one of these or does anyone have any further information on what type of steel they maybe? 

20170614_074507.jpg

20170614_074459.jpg

1 hour ago, ianinsa said:

hmm. this seems like the sort of test that is ......how do I put it?????? questionable? ???? and if they don't bend ? does that mean your tractor just isn't up to scratch? :rolleyes:

The validity of that sort of testing is going to be directly proportional to the size of Daswulf's tractor in my opinion.... but we may need something a little more definitive before passing judgement on the steel.

:rolleyes: well if you need specifics.... It's a kubota B2410 with a RCK60-24B mower deck. It was in 4wd at I believe 3000rpm. I do forget if I hit it with the front tire or the deck tho. And also don't know how fast I was moving. I'm sure that factor would matter. So my test was pointless. Other then to remind me to watch out for those.  :P

However, why not just safely remove the galvanizing and spark test it. 

14 minutes ago, Daswulf said:

However, why not just safely remove the galvanizing and spark test it. 

Spark testing is the plan. Got it stripping now. I will let y'all know how it goes. Though probably won't be till Sunday as that is my next day off.  I just didn't know if maybe we had a lineman or somebody who works with these and might know the composition.

No no... I used that to spark test some rebar and t posts my cousin had laying in the field. Also spark testing my mower blades on some bricks and blocks. I have most all of that cleaned up now. And new mower blades. :) 

Give it time, someone might know more. 

Sure is the expensive way.  Unfortunately when my cousin moved away he didn't leave me a map to where in all the jagger bushes and tall grass his "treasures" were stored. Got it all about cleaned up now tho. and have been utilizing my findings for years. 

Well curiosity got the better of me. I had a few minutes before heading to work tonight, so I cut one of the rods and ground the galvanization back enough to do a spark test in the core metal. Here is the result. What do y'all think.

20170614_171126.jpg

If you dissolve off the galvy with vinegar (acetic acid), you'll be creating zinc acetate, which is pretty benign. Just make sure you neutralize any remaining acid with some baking soda before you get rid of the remainder.

well I'm just a poor African so I try no to buy a Brazilian gallons of vinegar,  I would pop about 2 litres (say 4 pints of vinegar in a plastic bag put my thingamabob in said bag and immerse in a wheelie bin or suitable drum of water, this will evenly distribute the vinegar evenly around your thingamabob and save you a goodly portion of that Brazilian gallons of vinegar.

p.s. that resultant "galvenegar is really good for pouring down unwelcome ant nests! it might not win you brownie points with the sierra club though. but won't bring Greenpeace kicking down your door.:D

1 hour ago, ianinsa said:

well I'm just a poor African so I try no to buy a Brazilian gallons of vinegar,  I would pop about 2 litres (say 4 pints of vinegar in a plastic bag put my thingamabob in said bag and immerse in a wheelie bin or suitable drum of water, this will evenly distribute the vinegar evenly around your thingamabob and save you a goodly portion of that Brazilian gallons of vinegar.

p.s. that resultant "galvenegar is really good for pouring down unwelcome ant nests! it might not win you brownie points with the sierra club though. but won't bring Greenpeace kicking down your door.:D

What a clever man you are! That is a very interesting concept I will log away for the future.

I make up phosphoric acid pickling tanks with sheets of polythene laid onto 4x2 timbers....or whatever suits the project...

I make clear polythene sheet envelopes sealed up with duct tape to contain the media so I can recycle it when shot blasting objects too big for the cabinet.

I use a glass jar to contain brass, citric acid and detergent to isolate the dirty / cleaning solution from the transmission solution in the Ultrasonic Cleaner tank...maybe I will try that in a polythene bag, it will probably transfer the sound waves better as well.

Thank you Ian.

Alan