I Forge Iron

Jasen's smithing progression.

Jasent

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't done much recently. Been so busy my time in the smithy has been short.   I need to get on it but I keep getting side tracked lol. 

Today my propane kept freezing up fast like 30 - 45 min so I'd un hook it and stick it in the well house for a bit.  With the heater going in the well house I can't run a heater on my tank and haven't found a tub to put my tank in yet cause everything is buried in snow. 

Any my way while waiting for the tank to heat up I made a monkey tool in 3/8" 1" deep. May go a bit deeper depending on my next project but I'll talk about that later. 

once the tank heated up I started on my h13 drift. Even at yellow heat the 8# hammer didn't move it a lot. I think I'm about 50% done with it. I started with 8" of 1" round and I think I sould have went with 6" but that's ok. Phone died before I shut down for the night so no pic of the drift yet.  I left it in the forge to cool slowly so it won't harden while I'm away. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3126053e0542737540e58cdb6474092a.jpeg

If you are making a real Monkey tool, you need a side hole to see where the tenon is...  Nothing against you, but I think a lot of people misunderstand what a monkey tool is actually used for..  It was used to square the shoulder on a mortise and tenon assembly like wrought iron work and such and was struck on the end against the bar.. IE the monkey took was struck with a hammer. 

A bolster plate was used for general shoulder work and the metal being work was struck against the plate, much like a conventional heading tool but had different shaped holes and then a good old header.. 

Traditional monkey tool

20171225_090829.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished up my H13 drift today.  Took working end up to yellow heat and let air cool in 10 mph wind then once it was black(looking in the dark) I took back to a dull cherry and again air cooled. Never let the struck end even get to a glowing heat through the whole forging.  

Made this one differen than the spring steel drift. Found some oval hammer handles same price as the square head but oval shape and much more consistent size  than the squares.   

With the 4" X 1" round I have left of H13 I may make a new hammer punch. 

Guess it's time to finish my hammer head tongs. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Had a little fun today. Decided to test my h13 drift. So I cut a 3" of 1 3/8" axel. Squared it up and punched a hole. Drift worked awesome! Hammering end is nice and soft. Working end is nice and hard. Put a ding in my striking anvil. Used the anvil to get the drift threw then finished it off at the vice. Wish my hardy was deeper. Drift needs thinned down just a touch on the cheek sides but other than that I'm impressed! H13 is awesome for hot tools!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg