I Forge Iron

Jasen's smithing progression.

Jasent

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Did 2 forks today. Not sure how I like this style. Quick and easy tho.  Then I described to finish my first knife project. It's ugly but I learned a lot. Heat treat is great. Hacked a 4x4 in half with it. Not a single chip or nick to the edge

image.jpeg

If you run a tapered  drift in the top holes on the forks to make them perfectly round and true up the shafts as well they look a lot better.

The blade looks like it has a bad overheating area right where the bright spot is.  If so WATCH OUT  for failure there under stress!

9 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

If you run a tapered  drift in the top holes on the forks to make them perfectly round and true up the shafts as well they look a lot better.

The blade looks like it has a bad overheating area right where the bright spot is.  If so WATCH OUT  for failure there under stress!

The top fork is nice and round. Camera angle makes it look off. 

You are correct on the knife. Did this last year with my charcoal forge and it started to melt in that spot. First knife I ever started and finished. Will go on the wall to remember.   

@Daswulf I have done some traditional forks. Back around page 3 I think. I think I like the traditional way my self. I just don't care for the twisted wire forks.  Tried it as I figured it would be fast. Something to do while the forge heated up. 1/4" round heats up fast. I'll stick with steak flippers for warm up since everyone seems to love those around here.   May start a new knife today. I'm drowning in spring steel. 

Thank you you for the tips you two!

First fork

image.jpeg

well it coexisted and was more common than the twisted wire version;  I had great difficulty documenting the twisted wire one to before the Am Rev till I ran across a Roman one, I'm trying to remember if it was at the Deutsches Klingen Museum in Solingen; but unfortunately that was PTBI.

I love making spoons. That's a fine start.  I started out dishing them out on a stump. Since I've made a positive and negative swage. Keep at it. Make the bowl part nice and thin. Think " what would I be comfortable eating out of." Then also think " as clean and smooth as possible" to prevent any bacterial growth. ( unless it isn't for food) :) 

I made a huge " in my opinion" spoon that I use at the forge and honestly I love the thing. I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow. It's great for scooping coal into the fire and clinker out of the fire pot. Don't know that I ever posted it.

spoons can go pretty thin. Don't be scared.