I Forge Iron

Biggest I've seen was 200, but man I want that vice, I really like that style. Ain't those like French  or German or something like that?

Littleblacksmith

more like 1/8 inch..   All the cast iron anvils have a pretty thin face.. Fisher from what I understand made special face plates with slightly thicker edges in the steel plates.. Also fishers  or at least the later ones used several plates of steel , face, cutting shelf and horn.. 

Both fisher and Vulcan anvils hold up well enough if not abused.  That looks like someone had a miss hit with a sledge and ended up with it in the femoral artery.. 

She's pretty otherwise..  

On 5/15/2017 at 7:49 PM, littleblacksmith said:

Biggest I've seen was 200, but man I want that vice, I really like that style. Ain't those like French  or German or something like that?

Littleblacksmith

That is either a wagon vise or a larger table top vise.. Though it looks to have been modified to fit a hardie hole..   Tell tail is to see if it has the nib cut off under the screw boss.. 

These are actually some of many anvils being sold at auction on Saturday in Missouri.  Info below. You can go to the website for a full list.  Most of the anvils look like vulcans to me.   IM NOT GOING!

Sat 5/20. 10am. 140 anvils plus advertising anvils auctioned off 17802 unicorn rd Stark City Mo 64866. Bob Lasswell auctioneer. ( good luck)

ooohhh that looks like it would be a fun one, though every blacksmith from the state would be there and I wouldn't be surprised if the prices were high...that's a lot of Vulcans....I want those axes....

Littleblacksmith

Someone post up on this thread how this auction went with regards to pricing please.  I am thoroughly amazed with the prices vintage anvils are bringing currently and am frankly wondering if these inflated prices will hold over the long run.  

All the best!

3 hours ago, Kevin A King said:

I am thoroughly amazed with the prices vintage anvils are bringing currently and am frankly wondering if these inflated prices will hold over the long run.  

All the best!

Tell me about it. Been looking for several months, mainly on CL.  Everyone seems to think they have a priceless antique.   Some so bad they're not much more than boat anchors, doesn't matter, they'll still try and demand $4.50-$5.00.  Camped out for 3.5 hours at an estate auction for a rusty, unidentifyable $75 pounder hoping for a deal. When it finally came up about 3 people jumped on it and..wham-bam $375 in about 13 seconds of bidding.  I never bid, just wasted my morning.

I finally found a guy who collects, deals, resells blacksmithing tools about 3 hours away.  Ended up with a 103# Columbian in pretty good shape for $450. No great deal but a very good anvil. Also got a post vice from him.

TPAAT, there's even a shirt with it on it now! I gave up on Auctions long ago---except for odd ball ones: Like the Auto body repair shop auction that said they had been in the same building since 1918 or the HVAC company auction where they moved to the new building in the 1930's... Auctions where people come for a specific reason and it's not "old smithing tools"! But the bubble is hitting everywhere now, reminds me of the one with Tulips....