I Forge Iron

Newbie Shop Story

I have been interested in blacksmithing since I was a kid and first visited the shop at Greenfield Village in Dearborn, MI.  There has been no real time or opportunity to pursue the interest until lately and some 4 decades later.  Over the years I acquired some shop skills, mostly the hard way.   Learning blacksmithing though is hugely daunting, especially with nobody to teach or mentor.  Thanks to the internet, the inertia isn’t quite as great as it once was to get into blacksmithing.

My adventure starts with a knife I made under the tutelage of a friend a few years back (stock removal).   The blade was sent off for tempering.  I thought it would be good if I could do some simple heat treating myself for future projects.

20170512_061959.thumb.jpg.74b2119baa65c65bad32618817402936.jpg

So I built a little gas forge.

5915b5781b53a_20150317_191617(2).thumb.jpg.5f658380aebd03ce0d014b6340bcc1e7.jpg

About then another friend gave me a piece of RR rail to use as an anvil (sound familiar?).  Then I got busy doing other things.  Late last summer I began plotting my winter activities, which revolved around playing with my little forge, RR rail anvil and some mild steel scrap I had.  Not so much about knife-making and more about just making steel red and beating it into interesting and perhaps useful shapes.  When mentioning this to yet another friend, he said he inherited an anvil with a farm property he bought, and did I want it?

20170511_181007.thumb.jpg.a9918ee8c1aa1a7fede0c08dafc6c6ec.jpg

Lo and behold, it’s a Hay Budden Farrier model.  Not sure on the weight because I don’t have a scale and the mark is blotted out by chisel testing, but according to a catalog that I downloaded on this site, its probably between 150# and 200#.   

We did some housekeeping at work this last fall and I ended up with some gems headed for the scrap yard…for the low, low price of nothing.  This included several sledge hammer heads of 3, 4 , 6 and 10#, a small but heavy steel stand for some test equipment, and some more scrap including RR spikes, unknown tool steel etc.   I reworked/dressed the heads to expand my hammer arsenal, and put handles on some.  This included making a straight-pein hammer and a rounding hammer…of sorts.  Not pro quality, but they work OK for now.

20170511_180915.thumb.jpg.abaff8ba37d77a0e936bcd990f849734.jpg

The stand is made from 1/2” plate, 6” heavy pipe and a brake drum that I guess altogether weighs well over 150# and is the perfect height for my anvil.  Even had 4 holes I could use to tighten a chain down to secure the anvil base.  Anvil doesn’t twitch under my heaviest hammer blow.

Then along comes a fellow I work with who discovers I am bitten by the blacksmith bug.  He says words to the effect of “I have an old railroad forge in my garage.  Its an eyesore.  Do you want it?”

20170511_181036.thumb.jpg.a24e53e7d13c8429743d14fbce25ddfc.jpg

The forge is a Champion, with hand crank blower, which works fine after I replaced the handle, built a proper side draft hood, and applied some lube to the blower gears.  As a big bonus, it had a 4” post vise attached to it.  I think it’s glorious now that its properly employed.

Next, my burgeoning hobby sent me on a search for coal.  I learned a lot about Rocky Mountain coal, including some interesting history.  In a round-about way, I  found a source where I will be allowed a 1-time trailer load of fair Colorado bituminous coal (11,000 to 12,000 btu/hr), which amounts to 2 tons or so, provided I make a donation to a local charity….and a promise not to reveal my source.

This all came together in a former 3-sided horse shed on my place.  Since I sold my last horse with no plans to get more, I have enclosed the shed, graveled the floor, built a coal bin and moved my treasures in.

20170511_180736.thumb.jpg.c1b928eaab313cc18d13bca4a942b1a0.jpg

20170511_180809.thumb.jpg.12e52bac50da70752338bd35678ce2a7.jpg

20170511_180828.thumb.jpg.8e5edf8bb084f35e66e63d8f6a8359e8.jpg

I just have made some simple tools and a few minor projects such as coat hooks, railing brackets, a dutch oven tripod, S-hooks, punches, nail header, forge rake and shovel, cutoff tool and some nails.  My goal is to incorporate “wrought iron” design and features in furniture that I build.

All I can say is that I am blessed with many generous friends, and am overwhelmed at how this has all come together.  I also now have a lot of gift projects to make to show my gratitude! 

Anyway, I want to say a special THANK YOU to all you experienced smiths who patiently respond to novice questions no matter how trivial they might seem and share your wisdom and encouragement.  Its important to guys like me who wont ever catch up to many of you in experience.  Thanks also to those who post their failures or uncertain ideas, and then weather the constructive criticism.  I have learned so much from this site and enjoy the light hearted banter that follows with a lot of the posts.

If anyone happens through Kinnear, Wyoming stop in for a cup of coffee.

Mate,  long term projects, at 56 I am getting some of mine finished that I started as young as 14 ! That is a nice little shop,  and I too will be doing a few basic projects such as hooks brackets, fire tools and the like when my shop is finished.  Nice  well made gas forge for heat treating !! ver clever use of an old gas bottle. I will have a similar floor section under my forge and anvil to yourself, so no fires. Will look forward also to seeing photos of your projects.   Good luck !!

Cheers

Gordon

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Good story thanks for the telling. Nice little shop, well done. I'd make the stack a joint higher maybe two. The corners on your anvil stand look like shin busters to me but I'm kind of clumsy. 

We love pics too, you're off to a great start around here.

Frosty The Lucky.

14 hours ago, Heelerau said:

Nice  well made gas forge for heat treating !! ver clever use of an old gas bottle.

I wish I could take credit, but I copied Ron Reil's design on that forge and burner.  You can find it with a little internet searching.  It works beautifully. 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:14 AM, gmbobnick said:

Learning blacksmithing though is hugely daunting, especially with nobody to teach or mentor. 

hey, ain't nobody ever taught me nothin in person, no classes, and no mentors here. I would like to think I'm doing all right, sure I would be further if I had somebody to teach me something, but you have to make do with what you got and who you got.

You look like your off to a good start too.

Littleblacksmith

• 2 months later...

That's a great story and a beautiful shop.  Keep the tale going.  I want to know if you like using the coal forge or the gas forge more by the end of the summer!

Well Lou here it is, the end of summer.  For now I like the gas forge because it suits my short sessions in the shop better and not so risky igniting the crispy cheatgrass by my shop with a coal fire spark.  I was having a problem getting coal up to heat quickly , which I may have solved...I think. My coal has about 50% sand sized and smaller in it....really dusty.  I think this impedes the air flow through the fuel. I screened a 5-gallon pail full and now that we are past the dry summer conditions I will resume using the coal forge.  My opinion may change, but I see advantages in both forge types and will continue to use both.

Both types of forge has it's advantages and disadvantages. Keep the coal fines and wet them down, they're excellent forge fuel, there's a trick though. I build a coal fire by coiling up a cardboard strip an inch or two wide and 18"-24" long. I lay it over the air grate and let it spring open a little about 1/4" gap in the center is perfect. I hold it in place and cover all but the center with coarser coal. Then I pack around the outside with my wet fines depending on how big a fire I need it can be quite the mound.  Anyway, I cover all but the center of the crater. give it a really gentle blast from the blower or just open the ash gate enough to keep a wooden match lit. Drop a burning match in the gap in the coil. When the coil catches give it a LITTLE more air. Once it's going I cover the crater with coarse coal and packed fines leaving the center clear of fines so it can flare. The flare flames will go a long way to getting rid of the smoke.

That's how I build a coal fire and I can be working in under 10 minutes. Fines are your friend. The coarse coal allows the cardboard blow torch flame to blow through it and the fines keep the fire in the ball. Wet makes steam which cokes the coal faster. Hmmm?

Do you have enough water to take a hose and wet the grass down around your shop? A person can't be taking chances with fire getting away from them. I salute you for not taking chances.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty the way you described this makes perfect sense and I truly believe bumps me well done the learning path.  I messed with my screened coal last night and that alone made a huge difference in the time I got up to good forging heat.  Cant wait to try your suggestions.  Thanks very much sir!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have just started Summer down under, so may have to wait till the opening rains next year before I start the forge again.  I do not go hunting with my muzzle loading rifle for the same reason of not starting fires.  I to have enjoyed reading about what you are doing with your shop.  All that latent potential just sitting there !!! 

Cheers 

Gordon