I Forge Iron

old style 250 pound little giant

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The latest with my hammer is an upgrade to the clutch. There is virtually no literature on the 250 so I am not sure how common it is, but the clutch tod runs inside the frame. It connects to the treadle by means of an arm on the underside of the frame. Adjusting clutch throw requires getting both arms inside the frame, with wrenches, from underneath. The parts are ancient and well worn and I hate to have turn a 7-9000 pound machine on its side for adjustment. So I added an external rod. The funny thing is, it looks mighty similar to a normal little giant clutch rod. A lot of its funky behavior settled down with this modification.

20200104_105417.jpg

• 1 year later...

It's a beaut. I'd love to give it a go. I've only gotten to use a power hammer once and it was a pretty small LG. It was fun though. I'd love to have one. Even a small helve hammer would make life easier on the joints. 

Pnut

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

A question for anyone familiar with 250# little giants. Should there there be a centering pin here? This hammer has none. My dovetails do need some attention but have OK contact with die and key. I still get a tendency for the dies to shake loose from time to time. I am making better keys. But am wondering if I need centering pins.

5E123123-B1CB-4A1E-AEE9-2A682D9C389C.jpeg

Jason: I've been watching hoping someone would answer your question but couldn't resist wading through the Little Giant Powerhammer book. I don't see any mention of a centering pin, either in the section about machining new dovetails nor on the parts lists. 

I'll still be watching to hear from someone who knows more about the beasts. I have a 50lb and haven't been too successful with my dovetails for bolt on interchangeable dies. I had to tack a stop to my male dovetails to align the dies. I'm still not sure what I did wrong but it's a TBI thing and no surprise anymore. <sigh>

Frosty The Lucky.

As far as I am aware the 25 and 50 pound hammers never had them. I have seen them in some 100# hammers ( 2 of them but may have been added by an end user)  My Bradley and multiple other Bradley hammers I have gotten to work on did not have them. The beaudrys , Fairbanks and chambersburgs did have them. I am curious  if it was an age issue or just a manufacturer quirk. Wondering if it is even worth putting one in, and if so, how big?

• 1 month later...

I got the nameplate off the motor, and it is only 3 hp. It has been running and this motor has been on this hammer for a very long time. I timed it today, and it doesn’t just feel slow, it is slow! 110 bpm is way too slow for this hammer. Doing some math on the gearbox/ pulley/ motor combo and it should be running 210-230bpm. Since the four belts arent slipping, that means I am dragging the motor. That’s not good, and explains why it stalls out so easy. Today I began working on installing the new motor mount. I am shooting for around 220 bpm and the 7.5 hp motor should take the load better

455FA693-5448-471A-A116-95C4F972712F.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Motor in place and wires run. I couldn’t locate my wire strippers and had other items to get to today. I have about an inch of take up in both belts. I would like more but that’s acceptable. I have a proper starter for it, but am half committing  to this since it ran with the old motor, albeit slow, and with a lot of stalling. I will wait to take the old one down until I see it run on the 7.5 hp. At that point I will switch over to a proper starter. I am baffled why I didn’t mount this switch here to begin with though…

2185E9C0-C24F-4B13-A46F-31BEBEE65B36.jpeg