I Forge Iron

Is this a 600lb peter wright?

I just got this anvil for our blacksmith school and its a 588lb anvil with 2 separate 2 inch hardy holes. I have read in AIA that some peter wrights do not have any markings and the feet and other characteristics on this anvil fit that of a Peter Wright. I come to you all as a relatively new member for your expertise and to see if this size anvil is common and to learn more. I am hoping to see if you all think this is a good anvil and what your thoughts are. Thank you again. 

s-l1600a.jpg

s-l1600g.jpg

s-l1600k.jpg

s-l1600j.jpg

s-l1600f.jpg

Great score. Congratulations. It has the Mose hole forge look, the layered construction and the handling holes. The feet are clearly of manufacturing style typical to that time. Has the NJ anvil guy chimed in. He has a good handle on all things anvil. Enjoy. 

• I don't think I've seen in real life or in pictures a Peter Wright anvil with squarish feet as viewed from the side. Ones I've seen all had "pointed feet tops" as Black Frog described them; the feet are a rough triangular shape. That is also true of most early forged anvils in England. American anvils had the squarish feet. That is not to say your anvil is American. It has English weight markings and the "ledge" or "step" fore and aft on the base. It could be a PW, but the square feet throw me a curve.

While it's fun to track down a tool's history, it really has zero effect on it's utility. What you have is in excellent shape, excellent rebound and is huge. Perfect shop or school anvil.

However if being a PW is critical for your use please feel free to store it here. I'll PM my shipping address on request.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've had a blast here and thank everyone for their insight...Frosty...very true...its been interesting to see what folks have to say...clearly its all over the map. Seems like its always an anvil-by-anvil process of discovering history. Ive included some other PW square feet to address Frank's insight.

pw unusal4.jpg

Peter-Wright-Anvil-2-5087.jpg

One issue is that over the several hundred years they have been exporting anvils from England there have been several hundred different manufacturers of anvils and *MANY* of them started out learning anvil forging at one of the big manufacturers like Mousehole or Peter Wright and then went off to open their own place making anvils very much like what they learned on.

So if no good markings are available then it is a real guess!

• 5 years later...