I Forge Iron

I've heard all the horror stories, and even preached against them myself, but this is the first time I have actually tested the limits. Sometimes it is hard to separate truth from people joking around, so the best way to find out is to do it yourself. This is the 15 lb one from Harbor Freight that I have held onto for the occasional rivet and the like. I used a 4 pound hammer to "do the business". I learned a lot from this. .  ...and it was also kinda fun.:ph34r:

IMG_0012.MOV

There is a 70 pound ASO, with China cast onto the side of it, for sale in Albuquerque for only US$2 a pound; Just in case you need more of a workout.....

The MOB once took a HF ASO and made it into a propane camp stove and has it at Quad-State one year...

I've always wanted to find one of the bigger (100lbs+/-) ones and drill some holes thru the body an inch or two under the face and connect the dots with my portaband to make a female dovetail, then wedge in some nice power hammer dies.  Poor man's cutler's anvil!

C-1ToolSteel

Please,  allow me to criticize this test.

1- Would you have given the trouble to secure this ASO to a base, it would have broken not with a couple of blows but with just half a blow when hammer was still being raise for the first time! In any case, would you have hit this ASO firmly secured it would have broke in several pieces from a single blow...

2- post this video on YouTube with the title you use for this post and you're going to be famous!

Yeah, I thought about securing it to a base, but decided it wouldn't be worth it.:) I do like the idea, though, of securing it really well to a solid base and making it into a YouTube video. Maybe I should do a video of hammering the "sweet spot" until it breaks in half. If I do that one, I'll be sure to post it here! A more scientific test would include doing the same thing to a forged steel anvil and a cast steel anvil.....but I'll let someone else do that one!