I Forge Iron

Shapleigh hardware black prince anvil

5 minutes ago, Frosty said:

. What fun at demos, you can tell crazy spooky stories while you forge shackles or whatever. 

Even better, lobotomy instruments!! Mwaa Haaa ha ha. (sinister laugh)

Pnut

Edited by pnut

8 minutes ago, pnut said:

Even better, lobotomy instruments!! Mwaa Haaa ha ha

Pnut

Oh yes! Lobotomy stories should stop suddenly or drift off in random directions. Like I do so often.

How about Egyptian mummy tools like brain hooks? This isn't the Black Prince's first incarnation you know. (wait, wouldn't that be inIronation?)

I think we might have a new forum mascot anvil!

Frosty The Lucky.

Not sure what this 6/9 on the bottom side represents? 

20191002_142822.jpg

And it's terrifying to think of everything this anvil was used for. There are stories of experimental surgeries on the feeble minded to cure retardation. Horrible stories about how the committed reproduced and the "DOCTORS" there would experiment on the resulting children because there was no records of them ever existing. The graveyard there is soooo sad!!! I can only picture some gruesome hunch back man in an apron forging away in a dimly lit basement!!! How many hammer blows has this anvil endured!?!?!? Yet not a single pit or spot of rust ANYWHERE...just random gouges and mysterious markings. 

20191002_142958.jpg

20191002_142844.jpg

A lot of the old institutions had complete farms and workshops as part of their setup. They tried to keep the costs down---especially as folks were likely to be there for life...

I picked up a book on historical American Prison pictures just for the photos of the blacksmithing shops the inmates worked at.

Don't worry, this won't hurt a bit. We're only going to remove the parts that make you insane. You'll be much happier, wait and see. You'll be thanking us when it's all over.

Pnut

Edited by pnut

Ntryt2,

According to AIA:

Your Black Prince, S/N 193510, is a Columbus Forge and Iron Company (Trenton) 169 pound anvil made in 1926. It was sold thru the Shapleight Hardware Company of St Louis Mo.

It is a very nice looking anvil with a 'crazy' history....Hope this info helps.

The institution it came out of if I'm not mistaken was called The Dixon Institute for curable epileptics when it opened. It was also called The Dixon State Hospital and The Dixon School. Ntryt2 can probably say for sure.

It's first patients checked in in 1917.

Pnut

Edited by pnut

• 3 years later...

Good evening folks. I am 64, was raised in SoCal, retired, and moved up to Washington about 1 1/2 years ago. When I was 5 years old, my father drove the family back to Pike County Kentucky to see our Great Grandps and Great Grandma. This is the area where Hatfield and McCoys frequented. Behind my great grandfathers home was another dilapidated home that my Greatgrandfathers father lived. My Dsd asked if he could go have a look and my Great gf said he could and take anything home that was there. My father brought home this anvil, and a few oil lanterns from the local coal mines of which I still have one. I started working metal in high school a bit, so asked my dad for his anvil. He gladly gave it to me. I am thinking that was about 1983ish. I have been hauling it around since then.

Yesterday I decided to remove some of the rust using CLR and a small rotary wire brush on my drill motor. I was able to uncover "BlackPrince, hapley hardw, St. Louis USA". From what little I could find online, mostly this group, I will look in a couple other spots for weight and serial number. Feels like a 90lb sack of cement to me. I will try and weigh it later.

You said you all wanted the story" so here you go. I would like to set up a small furnace and make it myself, but still doing some things on the new house, to us anyway. How do I join the group? Doug B. 

Figured out the membership stuff, now to add some photos. The anvil is pretty beat up, but looks like someone may have added a plate on top at some point?

20230208_134411.jpg

20230208_142855.jpg

20230208_142816.jpg

Welcome from the Ozark mountains. Your anvil has seen some honest work in it's life but there is plenty of life left in it. The hardened steel face plate was forge welded on when it was made. It really only needs hot steel hammered on it to shine it back up. Because the plate is not very thick and welded to the wrought iron body, it is recommended to do no grinding, milling or welding on it. It could be restored but the cost would be prohibited. This is the only method to restore it I know of other methods usually do more harm than good. Anvil Restoration

I would use it just as it is other than wire brushing the rest and applying a coating of BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil) to protect it.

Welcome aboard from 7500' in SE Wyoming.  Glad to have you.

I agree with everything Irondragon has suggested regarding your anvil.. It is perfectly usable as is.  Many folk would be glad to have it in their shop.  This may be one of those anvils that was made by a large manufacturer for various retailers and were made with the retailer's name on them.

Welcome to the craft.  I hope you find it as rewarding as I have for the last 44 years.  It has helped me through tough times and made the good times better.

It is pretty easy to get started.  Probably the easiest way to start getting metal hot is a JABOD (Just a Box of Dirt) forge.

IFI is a pretty unique forum.  It is world wide with folk from many countries.  Ages range from early teens to 80s.  Education fromm drop outs to advanced degrees.  Blacksmithing skills from green as grass beginners to masters.  Just stay away from politics, religion, and sex and keep your language suitable for a little girl and you will fit in fine.

"By hammer and hand all arts do stand."