I Forge Iron

Anvil Restoration

I am new to black smithing and just purchased my first anvil.  It is a Peter Wright 101 that needs some work.  I have cleaned it with a wire brush and there are some large chips along the face edges.  I am not sure how to repair this and am looking for some advice.  Thanks!

We need pictures to be of any help. most of the time, newbies are over concerned, and the anvil doesn't need any repair at all. "repair" attempts  often ruin an anvil or don't help, at best. welding or grinding on an anvil is a bad idea except in specific cases in which it should only be done by an expert.  Pictures????

Welcome aboard Knifeguy, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance.

If you'll post some pictures of your anvil we'll be able to give you better advice and suggestions. However lacking an eyeball scanning I can only offer my usual advice. NO! Don't try to repair or restore your anvil, it's almost certainly not necessary and more importantly more anvils have been ruined or irreparably damaged by "repairs." 

Chipped edges are pretty common on working anvils and no big deal, in fact sharp square edges aren't desirable, they cause cold shuts when shouldering and can't be used to fuller. However, there ARE occasions a smith needs a polished anvil face and crisp corners and edges but those are easy to provide with a drop in the hardy hole bottom tool like a swage, fuller or hardy. 

It's a common desire of folk breaking into a new craft to want the best tools and equipment long before they have the skills to know what they really need. That's not a put down it's the norm, we've all done it heck still do. In all probability all you really need is to develop your skills sets to compensate for any perceived failings in your anvil. However if you'll post some pics we'll let you know if there really are any repairs needed and link you to good sites with instructions.

Frosty The Lucky.

There's tons of information on the net....and lots of it is worth EXACTLY what your paying for it......Nothing.  I've watched videos of people milling off the entire face plate of an anvil and calling it a"successful restoration/resurfacing".

Realistically you need to think of an anvils top plate as being like a fine knife blade. Like a blade it's been hardened and heat treated. Welding creates a heat affected zone all around the weld...removing the tempered hardness. After welding you end up with beautiful crisp corners (that you will need to round off) and an edge that dents easily and has FAR less rebound...you may even notice reduced rebound across the whole FACE. Ask me how I know =)

The anvil I "restored" still works, but I personally noticed all the problems I mentioned very quickly. The advice being given isn't coming from a collectors point of view, but rather from long experience.

• 5 months later...

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance. 

You'll need to post pictures from both sides and ends, high and low angles. A good look at an anvil isn't necessarily straight at it, especially if you're using a flash. Stand back a ways and zoom in, always at an angle so the flash can't reflect straight back at the camera. Outdoors on a cloudy day is better by far unless you have a professional set up. 

Don't worry about sway in the face, a little dip is no big deal. Chipped edges need a looking at and any broken or missing face plate deserves a good look. Again, zoom in from a distance.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...