I Forge Iron

Show me your first project!

C-1ToolSteel

Heres my first try at making a knife.  I cut a horseshoe in half and got twoo for one.  I hammered it into the shape I wanted but a flap wheel sure did help.  It was just a see what you can do project because I'm just starting out.  I put together a propane forge this winter and it's like the first time i welded two pieces of metal together or used a cutting torch.  Another metalworking skill...  possibilities seem endless.

20160511_200312.jpg

Oh cripes that was a long time ago. The first "real" forging I did was in Jr. high (middle school) metal shop 1 a screw driver that came out better than the instructor expected but I already had years running grinders in Dad's shop, sharpening lathe cutters, drill bits, etc. so I cleaned it up a LOT. I gave it to Dad and he kept it in he in his office tool box.

My sister might still have it, she has what's left of the folk's stuff.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My first real project was a candle holder. No photo as it was given as a gift to my grandmother. It was made from a mild steel round rod, I think 1/4 inch, in the center was a sharpened tip pointed up to set the candle down on, while the rest of the rod was tightly spiraled around the point going outwards to form a solid circular base, with a handle that looped up and out, so the whole thing could be carried easily. While working on the handle it busted (melted) off about half way up, so I flattened and split the ends where the steel broke, scissored and hammered the ends together in an attempt at welding, then wrapped thin brass wire around the fix on the handle to hide the fix, and give the whole piece a decorative flair. You could barely tell that the handle was broken and fixed, except for a slight bump in the brass wrapping.

Here is mine completed this morning. It was supposed to be a spatula but turned into a knife shaped object.... I will call it a letter opener. It has alot of hammer marks and several  cracks. I wrapped raw hide from a deer skin that I tanned last season on the handle. But I am proud of it none the less. But having said that, constructuve criticism is always welcome.

1502660441094538822698.jpg

15026605745361454290035.jpg

It is hot rolled mild steel. I'm not sure other than that. The salesman at metal mart had no clue what A36 was, he said they had hot rolled mild or cold rolled. As to the next three things. I think I do need to raise the anvil another inch at least. It is about a half inch below my fist when I stand up straight.  I think my hammer is ok. My wife isn't having the same troubles with hammer marks. Which brings me to my next topic. I most certianly need to learn to finess the hammer more. My wife says that I am pounding the steel too hard.  As for what I learned.... I learned that my hammer technique is terrible and I need to read up on how to move metal. I couldn't figure out how to get it to move in the direction I wanted it to. I also learned that I need to have more patience on everything. BUT I did learn that this is a hobby that I definetly want to persue!

I also learned not to stick your tongue out in concentration while hammering... slag really really burns on the tongue haha

As for improving hammer technique, you really just need to hammer more hot steel, and it will come naturally. Everybody's first project has marks like that if not worse. Dressing your hammer will help a ton if you haven't already. Most any larger hammer you buy will have a very slightly rounded face with about a 45 degree chamfer all the way around. This keeps the face from chipping and injuring the user, but is by no means ready for blacksmith work. Just grind it to a smoth radius instead of a sharp angle, and you will get better results.

Appreciate the advice fellas!!! I will most certainly get more practice in. On my way to pecos Texas now, so I will be reading up on techniques while I am away from my little smithy. I will post my next piece that I make also. I am thinking myabe going a little more simple with a few hooks or something. Again thanks for the advice I really enjoy this site, everyone is very helpful!