I Forge Iron

what do you use on burns?

steveh

I have a feral hive of bees that look to survive the winter, they happen to be in a garage the is getting demolished this springsummer so the first order of business is getting them reestablished in their own digs. At which point I'll be trying out this formula. As of right now I dont have access to the hive.

BEESWAX AND PROPOLIS BURN OINTMENT
38 gms beeswax
20 gms propolis
10 gms pulverized aloe
30 gms water

When I get a minor burn......which luckily most of mine are,I get some cold water on it as soon as possible.
I don't worry so much about infection, unless the area around a burn begins to appear red.
I,ll use whatever'burn cream' that might be around the house.....I,m not that picky.
The 'medicated' Raleigh brand salve........the light brown colored one is pretty effective on burns.
If a burn is on a finger or my hand(especially if in an area that must flex), I try to keep some salve or ointment on the burn for a day or so to keep the burn area and surrounding skin soft and pliable. Seems to help with the soreness.
Plain white medical tape works fairly well and stays in place better than bandaids.
Have you noticed that.........you burn your finger,cool it in some water, and you think
"Tlhis isn't so bad".......You go back to work.......and the first time you get your new burn near anything hot.....*OUCH!* It's just like getting burned all over again.
Exposed nerve endings I suppose.

I do nothing for minor burns, they seem to help build up calluses, but the reheating effect you mention certainly does get your attention :P

These days I have more problems with keeping my calluses thick enough to protect my hands but not so thick and dry that they crack. I can normally be found with one of my fingers taped with bag balm or whatever lotion is handy under it to "fix" a crack.

We have this little plastic scrubber at work that was made by GoJo (came with the handwash at some point in the past I guess) that Id very much like to get one for myself. It has three different lengths of stiff brushes from about 1cm long to just raised bumps. While I have pumice stones they clog up with skin cells too quickly to be really useful as your constantly having to clean the stone.

An important item for treatment is how large and how deep is the burn. I think what has been mentioned here are the small painfull burns we get from scale or sparks or contact with hot steel. Most of the treatments mentioned I am familiar with and seem right. Never heard of the one with beeswax. A dunk in water and then aloe is my choice. There are some catuions when the size or severity are larger. Any burn that does not hurt may mean damage deep enough that there is tissue damage requiring medical healp. Serious hand burns are not to be taken lightly. (nor do I think any of us would take them lightly.) I there is a chance that you will be headed to seek medical help limit treatment to a wet wrap. Most of the Drs. I have been involved with say leave the ice off. At the Drs office or hospital the first thing they will do is clean the area. If that means scrubbing to remove ointment or home remedies that is what is done. One factor in burn damage is time of contact and temperature. Hot steel contact is usually really short time....

Some of the best first aid for wounds I have used is Silvadene. It is a prescription but should be easy to convince the doc to write it up. I'll almost use on my toast to start my day off right.

It is for burns usually but I have used it on every open wound including a dog ear infection and wifes lesions on her legs from diabetes. Everything heals faster with it.

I have a feral hive of bees that look to survive the winter, they happen to be in a garage the is getting demolished this springsummer so the first order of business is getting them reestablished in their own digs. At which point I'll be trying out this formula. As of right now I dont have access to the hive.

BEESWAX AND PROPOLIS BURN OINTMENT
38 gms beeswax
20 gms propolis
10 gms pulverized aloe
30 gms water

I would think the wax would be a bad idea as it seems it would hold heat in the same as oils / butter that used to be a common home remedy but is no longer recommended. I don't know about the propolis - any ideas?

Honey has been used since the Egyptians were building the pyramids and todays science agrees that is effective.

ron

If that telltale angry red zone from an infection starts to appear around a burn after a day or so-- and my shop must have nasty germs in it, because every burn, and I have had many, seems to get infected-- I slather it with the only stuff I have found to work: sulfadiazene about an eighth of an inch thick. I cover it with gauze and keep it dry and clean until the infection abates. The thickness of the sulfadiazene is important. This stuff is prescription-only, but if you know a friendly veterinarian, they can supply it, too. It lasts forever, apparently, so I ignore the throwaway date on the container.

• 2 years later...

I know I'm a couple years late for this topic but I'll throw in my "home remedy" because it works amazingly well. Take a raw potato, cut it in half, and use the knife to scrape the "meat" of the potato into a pulp, enough to cover the burn area. Let the pulp poultice sit on the burn till it turns grey (20 - 30 min) then wash off. reapply if necessary, but I've never had to. Takes the sting out of the burn and seems to do something for the healing process too, I don't know what, but I've had bad 2nd degree burns that started to blister almost immediately and the scraped raw potato poultice stopped the blistering, cooled the burn, and I all but forgot about it. Works better than aloe.

While I'm waiting for the poultice to work, I generally slice up the rest of the spud, add salt, and have a snack.

• 1 month later...

very regular application of aloe after 10 mins in the quench tank, has left an un marked hand, with no restricted use from skin tightening, where a blistering chared and crackled burn was.

my medicine cabinet has, aloe, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, natural unpro. honey. and a few other bits for coughs etc.(lemon grass etc)

aloe for any non life threatening burns is good sense.

post-4920-12703384876748_thumb.jpg

I've always used aloe, the plant, not the bottled stuff from the store, although the stuff in the bottle does work good for sunburn, since you normally need such a large qty. for sunburn as compared to a burn from something hot and direct contact.

However I'm always willing to try something new whe it comes to home remedies, I'll have to try the Lavender Oil and the potatoe pulp, since I haven't heard of those two before and they seem to be highly regaurded by Sam and Tim.

welder19