I Forge Iron

Olden Days, Old Ways

I've been paging though the 1897 edition of the Sears & Roebuck Catalog at breakfast, (1960 reprint), and have run across a bunch of things that show how different life was back then.

Now I recognize that "cast steel" tools were not cast to shape but made from crucible steel.  Some items are still made from wrought iron and some from steel (some can be either if you pay the price!)

One I ran across this morning was threaded bolt ends with nuts all you had to do was to forge weld them to a piece of stock to get a bolt the length you needed!   Nowadays it would be simple enough to just thread the end of the rod and tap and die sets can be had pretty cheaply compared to the effort and skill of getting a good forge weld.

Now the dog, goat or sheep powered butter churn looks like a great idea....

Plenty of welders regularly make bolts from threaded rod with a nut zapwelded on, and it's not so long ago that dogs powered the roasting spit in Wales.

Seems to me sometimes the more things change the more they stay the same and it is very rare you ever come across anything genuinely new!

1 hour ago, JHCC said:

Dog-spit-roasted whale sounds incredibly unappetizing.

I know some dogs slobber a lot but just how much would one need to baste your roasted whale?  and I can't fathom a Welshman wailing, whining and whinging  possibly but in a melodic fasion:D 

Are you familiar with the filksong Welsh History 101 by Heather Rose Jones?  My wife had one set of grandparents that were 100% Welsh married to 100% Polish (in true American melting pot style!)  Their arguments were legendary as they both reverted to their native languages!

Frank; the 1897 Sears & Roebuck catalog has a cane mill like that!

Very good I have just looked it up. Typical border reiver skulduggery.

The nearest I can get to your wife's grandparents is putting the wax polish on my maternal grandmother's Welsh dresser.

Weak jokes aside, my maternal grandmother always said she was a true Briton. She had an Irish a Welsh a Scots and an English grandparent.

Alan

How time and attitudes have changed, from olden days and olden ways....

The squaddies ate so much of it during the Second World War and always in clement weather....that they were fed up with it.  Vera Lynn the "forces sweetheart" Sang a song about it...."Whale meat again, don't know where, don't know when, but I know whale meat again some sunny day..."

Alan

:)

I wish everybody a Merry Christmas and hope you all have a whale of a time....or should that be wassail of a time?...I am confused now.

I trust nobody will bolt their food over the holiday, you will be nuts if you do.

In deference to the OP, TPI would like to pitch an idea....that we bring this thread back on track, 

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Alan; that was Dr Strangelove's concluding song---back in 1968 my parents asked me to stay up late and watch it on the late late show; surrounded as we were by folks working in the Pentagon and CIA, (McLean, VA), my parents wanted me to see another viewpoint---and then they moved me to Indiana!