I Forge Iron

Anvil collection video - gobsmacked.

Jackdawg

Most of you have probably seen this before, but I only came across it this morning and had to share it. I was absolutely gobsmacked at the equipment in this place.

Then I was sad, all of it just sitting there not being used..... Probably enough anvils in this place for every member on here to have a couple each with a nice leg vice chucked in.....

Anvil collection

Let me first pick my jaw up from the floor!!! wow! were would they even get that much blacksmithing tools?!! That is insane! like you said though, it is kinda sad, that its all basically sitting there and not getting used!

Littleblacksmith

And no he is not a blacksmith.  Having kinfolk running the implement auction in Lemitar NM probably has helped and He's the fellow I mentioned that the first time he made it out to Quad-State he bought 30 anvils and a trailer to haul them back on.  Nice fellow; if you will be in the area get in touch with him and see if you can tour the collection in person.

I have visited the collection and have a few of his business card somewhere. I'll see if I can find one for you Farmall. He is a really nice guy and was happy to show me around. I did buy a nice swage block from him while i was there. People say his prices are high but he has a lot of stuff that is not being made anymore and in our area getting hard to find. I thought he had that stuff priced fair, high but fair. No one is making any of the industrial style swage blocks, large vises, large cones, and large London pattern anvils. If they were I know they would cost more than what he had them priced at. Stuff like normal sized anvil, tongs, tooling, and even power hammers which are readily available I though I could find a better deal elsewhere.

I see the New Mexico Artist Blacksmith Association had an add listed with his phone number. http://nm-artist-blacksmiths.org

This is insanity! It sure is cool to watch but it does make you wonder if the price on anvils are really inflated in his location due to the fact that hes snapped them all up! but people are always going to spend their money on whatever they like. Its good that he lets people see his collection

He is a businessman; but he does not have a monopoly; I've found very nice anvils in this area using the TPAAAT to locate anvils that are not on the open market and paid much less than he's selling for.  However if you count in the time and effort involved in hunting them down; his prices start looking better.  If you start thinking that about 6 miles from the auction run by some of his kinfolk is a scrapyard that has a pile of fork lift tines, chunks of 4" sq stock, 2" plate, 4" plate, etc; then you might start thinking that you don't need a london pattern anvil after all.

I've learned that collection often store nice items for a length of time but in general they will get disbursed *some* *time*.   (I've even seen stuff from a museum hit the fleamarket when they decided to change their focus.)