I Forge Iron

spark control

Tony Patnoe

Hello 

I just set a simple backyard forge up today and tested it out. I used some wood charcoal (i was unable to find any smithing coal) and am a little concerned about the three to four foot fountain of sparks that i got when my i started up my blower. Any tips or tricks to mitigate this? I am open to any advice or recommendations. 

Welcome aboard Tony, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance.

You're problem  has been addressed, charcoal makes plenty of sparks with even a LITTLE too  much air. Good fire management is one of the more difficult skills to learn but it isn't rocket science. Check out the forge in a box threads for how tos and why fors about how simple a side blast forge really is and they can be as cheap as the dirt in your own back yard. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

Some people use a foot switch to control the forge blower so it only on when there is steel in the forge and goes off when you take the steel out and head to the anvil. Saves a Lot of fuel and steel when you are in the learning stage.  Not good for coke though as that will go out without a constant draft.  Bituminous Coal and Charcoal are great with it

1 minute ago, ThomasPowers said:

Not good for coke though as that will go out without a constant draft. 

Ditto for anthracite. Also, it means that you have to plan your setup carefully in advance (i.e., getting all your tools etc in place before your metal goes in the fire), because you can't step away to do that without the blower shutting off.

SOFA had a half dozen forges in their shop set up this way with the foot switch; but they also had an override switch to put the blower constant on for forge welding, coke, getting the fire started, etc.  or in the words of wisdom from Big Trouble in little China "Marry them Both!"

What kind of blower? 

HF has variable speed switch for routers that I use on my blower. You can start it slow and build up to a higher air blast. They also have both a "dead man" foot switch ( where it's only on when your pressing down on it) and an on off foot switch. I bought and have tried all 3 and just stick with the variable speed switch. 

1 hour ago, Tubalcain2 said:

harbor freight! shame on you!:P

HF isn't "evil". Some of their stuff is actually decent, and the rest is priced accordingly. Take a peddinghaus anvil, and divide it by the cost of a HF anvil and you will see that you're still getting your money's worth. Some people say: "Well, I want quality tools, so if it's cheap, it ain't worth anything to me." Think about what it would be like if every kitchen item had to be premium restaurant grade. Yikes! Same for the restaurant owners who need a drill to have around the house.

5 minutes ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Think about what it would be like if every kitchen item had to be premium restaurant grade. Yikes! 

Actually, most restaurant equipment (other than industrial-strength immersion blenders and the like) is pretty darn affordable, and most of my go-to home kitchen stuff is from restaurant supply houses. The margins are so paper-thin that owners can't afford to spend a penny more than they have to. Where kitchen gear gets expensive is when you start slapping brand names on things and selling them in fancy-schmancy lifestyle stores in the mall (and REALLY expensive when you're talking about Jim Kramer knives at Sur La Table).

3 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

SOFA had a half dozen forges in their shop set up this way with the foot switch; but they also had an override switch to put the blower constant on for forge welding, coke, getting the fire started, etc.  or in the words of wisdom from Big Trouble in little China "Marry them Both!"

I like a foot switch. A small sledge makes a good manual override too.