I Forge Iron

I have seen these for sale

Put simply, if you need a swage block, its a good deal, if you don't, depending on the size of the anvil there's probably a better deal to be found, though that one looks serviceable if you can get it for £200. Anvils in the UK are relatively cheap and plentiful, my first was a 450lb London pattern for £180 and that kind of price is by no means uncommon.

That seem's fair enough, I really don't think I need the swage block yet as I am really just getting started. It was just with this one only being 15 mins away I thought the condition looked good, without having done a rebound test.

But I think I will hold off for a bigger anvil when the right one comes up.

Thanks for the advice.

As to the swage block--dig a little deeper on pricing of what has SOLD in your area.  A swage block is one of those "probably will never need" items but if you don't mind having your cash tied up in a hunk o' iron, you can always resell it later at zero loss if you can get it at the right price.  Money in the "National Bank of Fe" savings account.

Sometimes this kind of thing is actually free or cheap just to have around because it can easily be sold later.  Just a different way of looking at the cost issue.  Cheaper to bank that money in a swage block than flitter it away on bad burgers at some fast food restaurant over time.  

15 minutes away? Then why are you on the computer? 

If he has an anvil AND a wedge block, then most likely he has other goodies. If he has other goodies and they look like they have been used, Make the trip and not just for a look and rebound test of the anvil but to data mine the sellers experience. 

Don't know how you got on with the featured anvil, but if you check out ebay there is a vendor in Malton with two items for  Fist is a leg vice (needs a spring) could be a bargain and the second one a Brooks anvil, stand, tongs and stakes and hardy tooling, could be out of your pocket at a £450 starting price, but then again it may not sell and could end up being split...defo worth a looksee. I'll drop you apm with a link.

Hi,

I went down and looked at the Brooks and it was in really mint condition and performed well in the tests.

It turns out he has three post vice's and will include one with all the other stuff.

Thanks for the heads up it couldn't be more ideal.

I think that's what they call fate I am definitely getting it. I will call him tomorrow morning and pick it up.

The guy said his granddad got it for the farm and it has only been used a handful of times. which you can really see by its condition.

Time to get into action then, first orders are a holder for the stakes.......(tree stump?) ..... and bracket and spring for the vice and somewhere to mount it, by the time you've sorted those the top of the anvil will be nicely work cleaned.

How is the anvil for hieght in it's stand, will it be needing a plinth to sit on?

( ......is that silver sand in the bag by the wall? )

I think I have found a good stump in the woods near my house just have to pick it up. It will need a plinth as it currently sits at knee height. 

I was thinking of mounting the vice to some 4x4 that I have and then mounting that to the ground. I was going to watch Andy McKenzie's video on vice restoration thought it would be a good starting point to get it back in full order.

The sand is just anti weed sand that as you can see by the photos I really need to get used.

The swage block was another vendor VaughnT, this haul turned up virtually on his doorstep!

Antiweed sand?  I assume you mean plain sand you use as a weed suppressant, if so, you can apparently use it for forge welding, not tried it myself......yet..... it can also be usefull in a solid fuel forge too mixed with clay to make a liner....!

Well it turned out to be even better, he is the design and technology teacher at the local school and said he will give me all the scrap steel from he school and off his farm for free which is a real win. 

The sand is a mixture of hand and weed killer it's to be brushed into the block paving. For my forge I used soil to line and it is working well so far.