I Forge Iron

Looking for a cheap way to line my gas forge

20 minutes ago, the iron dwarf said:

im no gas expert but think the refactory cement would not insulate it, two 1" thick layers of a ceramic blanket and a ridgidiser coating on the inside may be better

I made some sodium silicate not long ago you think that will work for the ridgidizer with the blanket 

What you're proposing is what us old farts called, "penny wise and dollar foolish." To save a few dollars necessary to properly line a forge you're trading fuel efficiency and longevity. It'll probably cost you at least 2x as much in propane for the same work and the liner won't last more than a few % as long.

Doing a 50% donkey job will at best produce the same results. Would you buy a structure welded together by someone who wanted to use the cheapest rod and machine possible?

Frosty The Lucky.

I prefer it in multiple 1" layers as I can then change out a "worn" layer easier---and teaching students they wear fast!  I do not use anything to fasten them together save the shape of the forge---cylinder forge nso the "arch" takes care of blanket.   Glad you were able to find some.  It's amazing what's out there if you are willing to look and amazing how helpful folks can be if you are willing to talk with them about what you are trying to accomplish.

19 hours ago, MarvinB said:

OK guys I've got kaowool I just didn't think about it it's all over the plants I work in I got about 8' that's 1" thick so will the sodium silicate work to bind it together and to the forge itself 

Your question about sodium silicate was already answered. Maybe you missed it, it's the very next post after your question about it. 

Marvin: If you're going to ask questions and expect folk to answer them you could at least READ THE ANSWER before asking another. It's just the sort of behavior that gets curmudgeons to say something harsh or just ignore you. If you aren't going to pay attention why should we waste our time?

Frosty The Lucky.

1 hour ago, Michael Cochran said:

Frosty, old do I have to be to become a curmudgeon? That's what I wanna be if I grow up :) 

The question isn't, do you, it's Can you. Nobody is guaranteed curmudgeonhood, it's like a good nick name usually bestowed on you by the general populace of where you hang. Don't despair Michael my coaching fees are reasonable.  YES, REASONABLE I SAY! :angry:

Frosty The Lucky.

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

Marvin: If you're going to ask questions and expect folk to answer them you could at least READ THE ANSWER before asking another. It's just the sort of behavior that gets curmudgeons to say something harsh or just ignore you. If you aren't going to pay attention why should we waste our time?

Frosty The Lucky.

My mistake I didn't mean to skip over anyone 

Edited by MarvinB