I Forge Iron

Repair old Coal Forge

BIGFO0T

Hello, I recently posted about this old Coal Forge in a previous forum but I was wondering the best ways that I could repair this fire pan and the bottom of the blower here. The piece is pretty rusted and I'm worried that if I try to rebolt the piece together it might break. Any thoughts on fixing? And also lining the pan with clay? What should be the procedure for that?image2.JPGimage1.JPG

Boy, that's a tough one. The fire pot and pan look pretty rough. I'd probably place the fire pot maybe with a brake rotor or maybe I'd turn up something I liked better. I'd do some looking and thinking first though.

The tuyere on the other hand is hard to see in the pic. If it's just loose I'd soak in oil and replace the bolts. However it looks like a crack near the fire pot that might make for a problem. I don't know.

Frosty The Lucky.

A popular air grate is round bar stock with a gap between bars like a bar grate. They allow plenty of air flow and are easy to clean with a coal rake. Maybe just bend lengths like hair pins and lay them a little ways apart.

Brake ROTOR is the disk part of disk brakes. The hub is a much better size for a coal forge, drum brakes even the small ones are pretty large for regular sized work.

Frosty The Lucky.

Maybe to much rust to weld.

24 minutes ago, BIGFO0T said:

Also if I wanted to line the pan again with clay how should I do that? What type of clay found where?

Depending on your local geography, maybe the creek or riverbed or backyard.  Sand/kaolin works also.  Kaolin=cheap cat litter

There are already a number of threads on claying forges; read them over before proceeding:

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/34340-to-clay-or-not-to-clay/

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/26389-clay-in-a-forge-pan/

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/8385-how-to-clay-a-forge/

There are others as well, but these have some good information.

(A quick pro tip: before posting a new thread, please search the forum to see if your question's already been asked. At best, you'll find the answer you need; at worst, you'll know more and be able to ask a more informed question. Also, the search feature of the forum software isn't very good, but you can always do a google search and include "iforgeiron" as one of your search terms.)

what I have seen done over the years for a fix like that is find an old Lg Ox tank cut the bottom off & use that for the fire pot

that means cutting out the bad fire box then welding or using bolting tabs & attach it to the forge 

thatS cast iron A PAIN to work with !! you can braze it thats the better Idea or with the right arc rod weld it not so easy !

a plasma will cut cast iron real nice I have done that on mine witch has the same problem ! pan in Good Shape fire pot Not !!

other idea find a cast iron fire pot & fab that to you"re forge pan that what i did    

GOOD Luck :o

Steve's Welding & Fab

5 hours ago, aessinus said:

Maybe to much rust to weld.

Depending on your local geography, maybe the creek or riverbed or backyard.  Sand/kaolin works also.  Kaolin=cheap cat litter

Uh, Kaolin is porcelain, Kitty litter is Bentonite, plain unscented or un-anythinged clay kitty litter.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 10/12/2016 at 8:36 AM, BIGFO0T said:

Alright. Sounds good! So the other thing I want to ask here: can I weld this type of material? 

Also if I wanted to line the pan again with clay how should I do that? What type of clay found where?

You cannot weld cast iron but it can be brazed which is what I did recently on an old rivet forge that was broke almost in half.

I have done enough cast iron weld repairs to advise not doing it on this project-too much work for what it is. 

Drill stop holes at the ends of the cracks, and look for a proper sized brake rotor. Don't overthink this, I have a vintage Buffalo forge that has a sheet metal pan. Claying the pan will help a lot in your situation.