I Forge Iron

Blacksmith leg vise

Gorō

G'day

looking on eBay for anything that is useful and came across some blacksmith leg vises.

Found a very nice blacksmith leg vise with no rust and 5' jaws, the seller has told me jaws close but will not open. I've been told it's the screw/bolt or thread box?

Cheers

3 hours ago, jeremy k said:

Most likely just needs a simple to make spring. Hard to tell without a photo.

Always forget the photos sorry.These are the only photos that I have of the blacksmith leg vise, hope it helps.

IMG_1264.JPG

IMG_1265.JPG

IMG_1266.JPG

17 minutes ago, Peter Bui said:

Oh ok so we need a close up of the threaded screw area of the vise?

Well a good picture of the screw itself. You want to know that the threads are not worn out. 

10 minutes ago, jeremy k said:

Pivot joint is probably tight, spring should open it....spring is intact.

That's probably it. 

As the screws get worn they flatten slightly on the side taking the heaviest load, closing side and then tend to want to lock. Does it smooth up once you get it moving out? If not it may have rolled a little bur on top of the male thread or junk has galled the female.

I have one that's dirt and crud skuffed and rough. I've given thought to using a little valve grinding compound and a hiring a teenager to crank it open and closed 50 times or so to see if it frees things up.

Frosty The Lucky.

3 hours ago, Peter Bui said:

Biggest problem that I'm buying this online because the vise is in another state. 

If it was local I could have a better look at it. Maybe take it apart if I'm allowed to .

my answer is get them to send a picture of the screw itself. if the screw is good, from the other pics the vise looks good. it'll just need a lil work. a vise screw/box is the most expensive part to fix/replace. Usually not cost effective. 

reasons for not opening: joint is rusted or crudded up with old grease/oil that has hardened;  cheeks have been tightened too tight with the pivot bolt, spring needs re-arching; some or all of the above.  NONE of these is reason to not buy it as they are all easy fixes.  Now the screw/screwbox being in worn shape is a reason to not buy a vise as that is a difficult/expensive fix.

Ok. Almost looks to me like the pivot bolt isn't seated properly. Usually the rounded head part of the bolt seats into a notch or two to the bracket. I think I see a space and also the nut looks to have been replaced, as far as I've seen they are a square nut there. No big deal on the nut really.

But what about the screw? Ask him to wind out the handle till it comes out and get good pictures of the threads.  :) that's the make or break item.  

7 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Ok. Almost looks to me like the pivot bolt isn't seated properly. Usually the rounded head part of the bolt seats into a notch or two to the bracket. I think I see a space and also the nut looks to have been replaced, as far as I've seen they are a square nut there. No big deal on the nut really.

But what about the screw? Ask him to wind out the handle till it comes out and get good pictures of the threads.  :) that's the make or break item.  

I asked for pictures of the screw this morning when I called him up and he was very firm on the screw being "fine"

I think I will message him tomorrow morning asking if he could take one more picture for me haha B) 

is $95 plus another $45 for shipping a fair price to pay? that is in Australian dollars, how much are leg vises worth in the US of A???

Price is always a matter of location and availability. I have seen them sell for that around here in Pennsylvania USA. But generally they are a lot less here as the availability it higher. Not sure on availability in Australia let alone the area you are in so its hard to say but if they are harder to come by in your location then it might not be bad. I have seen people "listing" them at around $250. Usd on sites. No idea if they ever got that price. 

If the screw is good, and if it's a good price to you then it is. You should get your use out of it. In my experience they are very useful.