I Forge Iron

New forge with burner problems

Brazer

Mikey, I built a shelf across the front that swings away to open full door for maintenance. Using firebrick on shelf to make 5"x 4" opening smaller without too much back pressure.

Did a full temp fire to cherry red, to cure 3rd thin coat of Satanite and shut down, and closed up. Tomorrow,  I will do another coat and heat gun dry, then fire

up gradually to full temp again. When I am satisfied with Satanite thickness, I will coat with Metrikote ,dry, then fire up to temp to cure Metrikote.

This is forge being fired now  with my 1/2" side burner, that works great with windy conditions here. Still waiting on my 3/4" Z burner from Larry Zoeller, then I will have

the proper burner for this forge.  This side burner will go back in my smaller forge for backup.

One of the advantage of building a forge for this kind of burner, is the ability to change them out for other burners at will, which is why you should never throw out a burner in the face of a much more powerful model; unlike even small forges, burners take up negligible shop space.

On 10/9/2016 at 4:30 PM, Mikey98118 said:

I would also  suggest that you mount an external baffle plate on the door of that forge, to make it even finer;)

Is that something to block the opening, like a door in a doorframe?  I never knew that I had a doorknocker on the external baffle at the front of my house.

I never discard anything that can be used on something else. I should have the 3/4" Z burner tomorrow, then the 1/2" sidearm burner goes back in the small forge.

That little forge comes up to temp in less than 10min. Its great to have 2 forges. My friend asked if I wanted to sell the little one, I said no.

Didn't get the Z burner in yet, but here's some pics during today's full temp to cure satanite. I figured why waste any heat, so I threw in a couple pieces of iron.

Also made the front opening a little smaller. Tomorrow I put on the Metrikote and install the new Z burner.

In these pics, I have the mini sidearm burner in. I took around 10 minutes to get good and hot, then I put some iron in the fire.

Video 1 0 01 04-17.jpg

Untitled 0 00 04-26.jpg

Untitled 0 00 06-13.jpg

Finished the new forge. The 3/4" Z burner works great.  New pics  look like the last ones, so I didn't want to bother anyone or use their time looking at the same thing over again.

Made a couple pair of tongs today.

End of new forge story.

43 minutes ago, Brazer said:

Finished the new forge. The 3/4" Z burner works great.  New pics  look like the last ones, so I didn't want to bother anyone or use their time looking at the same thing over again.

Made a couple pair of tongs today.

End of new forge story.

End of new forge story? That's it, over finished, done? What are you going to do with the forge then? Oh do tell us you're going to use it and post PICTURES!

:lol:

Frosty The Lucky.

I am using it. Getting kind of sarcastic aren't we? I was told  " Since you have been posting all over, making me clean up after you I honestly got to the point where I didn't care to read every post anymore, I just started scanning, because I have a life also. "  I would respond, but that doesn't show any class on my part. Some things best left unsaid, and just to move on.

That kinda says why even bother. I enjoy sharing ideas with you Frosty, and the rest of the one's that helped me so much. The forge going to be used to re -purpose  a lot of old plumbing tools, and a pile of used scraper blades from heavy equipment. I got the time, and I worked with metal all my life, an will continue to, for enjoyment.

I will have to post the projects with pics, in another thread, so I won't get them grouped back in this thread, to upset anyone.

Lighten up a little, we all have to learn new things when we go new places. So Admin consolidated some threads that would've been better placed in one thread. Admin wasn't mad at you, they just did what needed doing and told you why. Is that a bad thing?

Believe me Brother you would've known if Steve were mad at you. He's not going to go out of his way trying to coddle anybody's feelings, nobody in Admin has time. They just tell you what and why straight up. Blacksmiths tend to practice a straight forward craft and deal with business likewise.

I was being sarcastic, I do that with folk I think of as friends or folk who just need a  kick in the pants. Didn't figure you for the latter but I make mistakes all the time. Your call.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty. I'm not mad at anyone. I was just saying that it could have been put a different way, saying I post all over. I like to add my 2 cents once in a while.

This is a great forum, and I learned a lot already. I was maybe too excited to show what I had done, and like to hear the comments. If someone says he don't make mistakes, he's a liar. I am wrong many times, but learn not to do it again, unless I forget.

I added a hardy hole to my rail anvil, and picked up some more steel scrap. I got my eye on a large forklift fork, broken at the bend, and it might come in handy for some major

pounding. 

That's not what Steve meant, the more a person contributes the better even if it is just something silly to lighten the mood. What Steve was referring to was how you were posting the same topic in different threads rather than one. The guys running this site have regular jobs and do this in their spare(?) time for maybe a T shirt. They field a lot of complaints and even threats for doing a tough job gratis.

They're not going to choose their words carefully to spare our feelings. They're just going to tell us if we screw up. If it's a BAD screw up they tell us in a PM to avoid a public THING, I've gotten a phone call or two I screwed up badly enough. You didn't even screw up, just needed a little uncluttering advice.

Lets talk about something else. I just watched an episode of Bonanza called "Sam Hill". I didn't start out watching, I just had it on for background noise that wouldn't annoy Deb and darned if I don't hear the ring of an anvil. Look up and there's Hoss beating heck out of an anvil with a sledge hammer and a guest star riding in a wagon answering by smacking an anvil on the floor boards with a hammer.

There was some actual (sort of) Hollywood blacksmithing. Sam was a traveling blacksmith and even had one of those nifty hammer holsters blacksmiths wear so he could have his hammer with him all the time.  Shod a horse and a wagon tire as I noticed. The "producer" had someone mount a bellows to a rivet forge that actually had some of the hardware for a blower under it.

All in all a decent episode of Bonanza if you don't expect to learn anything about blacksmithing. The Cartwrights anvil is the one you can take a look at at the Ponderosa ranch outside of Virginia city. You can get a first hand look at Hop Sing's chopping block too.

Frosty The Lucky.

18 hours ago, Brazer said:

. I was just saying that it could have been put a different way, saying I post all over. I like to add my 2 cents once in a while.

Like with your first post  "Anyone think of using a CO detector for safety in the area of a gas forge?  Something to think about." It takes big brass ones to think a blacksmithing site needed you to discover CO2 detectors for us, even though we have mentioned them many places. 

Then you made 2 different threads about a gas forge, all of which you posted in the general smithing section,  apparently because you were in too much of a hurry to impress people, you missed on seeing there is more to this site than the general section.  Maybe the library you are used to likes having everything tossed in a large pile, but we try to organize things for easy look ups later, which I thought I explained when you posted your demands. that I put them back as they were, but perhaps I used to many big words for you to understand, because you are still confused about how things are around here,  Why else would you still be complaining about it ?

I will try to keep my posts to you very simple in the future so I dont confuse (mix you up ) any more, would that be better???

Hint about Steve, 

one, if he addresses you with more than one word he probbabely likes you. Short of that he thinks your worth liking. 

Two, he has a real low tolerance for B.S.

third, if he dosnt like you he will have some one else moderate you so he doesn't seem to be "picking" on you. 

Most of us have taken a kick in the pants from him at one time or another. If he is bothering to ride your backside about somthing he sees worth.  

Got it guys. I just post a question that comes to mind. Doing a lot of research on the forum using search. A lot of times it comes up page not available.

I will use private message in the future for any gripes. Again,  thank you all for setting me straight. I will try to search for an answer before posting a thread for

an answer. You got so much info among all the members, and forum, that is why I enjoy being part of it all.

Try google site search. The. Spend a little time familiarizing yourself with the headings. this is a reference and historical document that others may veiw, so don't be afraid to ask a question, just try to ask in the right subforum and make sure their isn't an active thread covering the same subject. 

14 hours ago, Brazer said:

Got it guys. I just post a question that comes to mind. Doing a lot of research on the forum using search. A lot of times it comes up page not available.

I will use private message in the future for any gripes. Again,  thank you all for setting me straight. I will try to search for an answer before posting a thread for

an answer. You got so much info among all the members, and forum, that is why I enjoy being part of it all.

12 hours ago, Charles R. Stevens said:

Try google site search. The. Spend a little time familiarizing yourself with the headings. this is a reference and historical document that others may veiw, so don't be afraid to ask a question, just try to ask in the right subforum and make sure their isn't an active thread covering the same subject. 

This, absolutely. Just include "iforgeiron" as one of your Google search terms, and you'll be fine.

I'd only add that getting really good at searching the forum is a very, very valuable skill, and if you end up not being able to find the answer you need, at very least you're going to be a whole lot better at asking the right questions.